An interesting thread just got instantly locked talking about Office 2013 not using Cleartype.
I have to say that Cleartype is one of the most impressive things Windows has when compared to any other OS.
I can't use IE10 in Win8 because there's no Cleartype and while I don't really use Office (even though I have Office 2007 installed) I can't see I would ever be able to use Office 2013 for any length of time because it would make my eyes water just like IE10.

At the moment the reason for getting rid of "the amazing invention that is Cleartype" is that it doesn't look good in portrait mode AND MS is hoping everyone will be using super high PPI displays in the near future where Cleartype isn't needed as much.

I recently posted about starting a new Win8 Taskforce website and Long Zheng said he doesn't have the time to dedicate to this, which is fine, but will we ever get an official word from someone higher up at MS who can show that someone is listening to us people who actually have valid points about the usability of these new Microsoft products?

Forcing UI elements that are suited to touchscreens onto people who are using non-touch desktops and removing Cleartype hoping nobody will notice because they're all going to be using high-ppi screens anyway is very heavy handed. It's just too much too fast.