I was trying to think how this might be used if we had one in my own family: (most of these scenarios have sub-scenarios and I think are all valid, supposing we to have the motivation to use the device in this way in the first place)

1. It would sit charging in the hallway, next to the phone (maybe on the wall if it could be removed easily enough?) and would show by default  the current Weather and any notifications for members of the Family along with any security camera feeds that might be available.

2. My wife and I might take it down and put it on the Kitchen table (face up) to help plan Family outings with our kids or to tick off task lists for family members (not that we are currently that organized - but you never know)

3. It might be used occasionally for family gaming in the lounge.

4. Might be useful in discussing homework with the kids assuming it is portable/light enough for them to bring it to us (and assuming their work is done in the Cloud, which it increasingly is).

5. I could see it having a use for selecting upcoming entertainment for the family for the following week ie TV Programs (would need to interface with calendar/reminders and PVR), theatre / cinema / meal investigations and booking etc.

6. Assuming connectivity it would be good if this enabled us to see who was at the door, or telephoning us (before we answer)

7. Skye type situations - quick calls could be handled in situ -  for longer conversations say with relatives abroad the device could be moved into the lounge (or the call transferred to a smaller tablet).

I will add to this list as I think of scenarios, in the meantime feel free to shoot me down guys ...