There's currently a massive amount of rumors on the net about Microsoft bringing back the start button and allowing boot-to-desktop.

But 99% of the usability issues people have is due to the loss of the start menu.

What's great about booting to desktop if the start screen appears anyway if you want to do anything? I have to agree with the Win8 fans here: Reaching the desktop from the start screen isn't that difficult. The forced start screen itself is the problem.

And the start button without the start menu is like milkshake without milk (the button is just the straw).

Just adding the button back, but still make it open the start screen, with no option for the start menu, solves very little. If that's really all there is to it, then W8 will continue to attract ill feelings.

Oh, and I don't want to discuss the merits and faults of the start screen vs. the start menu yet again, I think we can all agree that I've wrote enough about it already. I am just saying that the button alone won't do much for the people who dislike W8. If they want to make W8 attractive to them, they need include an option for the start menu, too.