I have just been reading the making money with your apps article, and am really concerned with the direction that Microsoft are taking.

With successful apps on Windows, you'll make more money than the industry standard, earning 80% of every customer dollar, after an app makes more than 25,000 USD in sales. For the first 25,000 USD of an app's sales, you get the industry-standard 70%.

Let me rephrase this for you

With successful apps on Windows, Microsoft will make more money than the industry standard, earning 20% of every customer dollar, after an app makes more than 25,000 USD in sales. For the first 25,000 USD of an app's sales, Microsoft will get the industry-standard 30%.

This just will not work for the majority of business, and in truth it makes Microsoft completely unattractive. I know that Apple have done it (that does not mean it is right), like a lot of people developing on iOS are finding out, you cannot make any money at all. there are all but a handful of financially successful apps on iOS.

What does it take to create an application with 5 developers? Lets make it a 12 month project at an average of £40,000, then add 5 Visual Studio ultimate,TFS, SQL licenses and lets say they want to use Azure http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/advanced/#

If you add the costs of marketing campaigns, management and so on, it is easy for this to approach a million pounds.

I realise that I cannot expect Microsoft employees to answer, as they will be seen as going against the decisions of the company, but the key reason Windows was successful was because it was possible to create products (I know fan-boys will say it is still possible - not with the new OS) where you could make revenue. As it is, a lot of start-ups are still failing because it is so hard to launch products to the market because of the costs and expertise involved.

People are making an incredible investment in your platform for you to then say give us 30%! I would still think it a lot even you said free Visual Studio, free TFS, free Sql, free Azure and so on. Has anyone at Microsoft actually tried to perform accounts a typical  Windows Project incurs?

Am I alone in thinking that the app store should be free (small charge to cover costs for running it)?