, Escamillo wrote

@vesuvius:

*snip*

It would seem that so-called "tech savvy" folk that post to this forum can't even tell the difference between incremental upgrades of the same OS (eg. iOS1 thru iOS 5) and a transition from one OS to an entirely different OS (WP7 to Apollo).  Comparing a WP7 to Apollo transition to the incremental upgrades from iOS1 to iOS5 is totally meaningless. 

You have missed my point entirely, in that Apple and Google have chosen a technology, and stuck with it. As applications are written, they are backwards compatible, and their customers get a consistent experience from phone to phone. Apple especially have been able to optimise their software so it is incredibly fast and responsive.

And you bring up the fact that you are wating to upgrade your Android to ICS.  Yeah, you, along wiht 97% of Android users.  ICS was released ~6 months ago, yet only 3% of Android uses have been able to upgrade to it.  That upgrade path may as well not exist at all.  Most will be onto a new phone by the time they get to upgrade their current Androids.  Yet you cite that as an example of how things shoudl work. lol

The issue here is that most third party companies like Samsung and HTC have customised versions of the OS, and Phone providers like Vodaphone/O2/Three (AT&T or Verizon stateside) and so on are very slow to roll the updates out. This is set to change in the future.

This Coffeehouse forum has gone in the toilet ever since Rory left.  Mostly what we get now are malcontents and Microsoft-bashers.  There use to be lots of tech talk on this forum and actual insight, but those days are looooong gone.  And that's why the userbase of this forum has dropped down to fewer than a dozen regulars.  The ones remaining are mostly the malcontents that can sit around and pat themselves on the back at how brilliant they are (they equate cynicism with brilliance).  The rest that remain are those few individuals that have the stomache to put up with the nonsense constantly spewed by the malcontents.

The truth of the matter is that Content Delivery is now what Channel9 is mostly about (It falls under Evangelism, and this forum has nothing to do with that), and the forums are seldom promoted. I know that the minute I post something against Windows Phone, someone from Microsoft creeps out of the woodwork to completely rubbish what I have written because people are very sensitive to any bad press to do with the product. I will however continue to warn friends and colleagues against Windows Phone and Windows Metro because Microsoft have never stuck to any technology for more than a few iterations - that is not bashing Microsoft, but the truth.