@MasterPie:

, MasterPie wrote

*snip*

In general, I want there to be some sort of connection between an app on the metro side and its associated desktop application.

I couldn't agree more.  I develop applications for mobile computers that integrate with a variety of hardware.  Creating a Modern app would seem to be a natural step in the evolution of our product.  But we cannot access much of that hardware from a Modern app, and what's worse, we cannot communicate with a desktop application or Windows service that does have access to that hardware.

By "cannot", I mean without the sideloading and loopback exemption hacks that would create a nightmare for the thousands of disparate IT groups we support.

My message to Microsoft:  Give developers the power of desktop applications in the Modern world.  This MUST happen if your vision of reducing and finally removing the desktop from existence can ever come true.

More:

• My Modern apps need to communicate with each other without user interaction.
  • My Modern apps need to be extensible (pluggable).
  • We need to be able to sideload our Modern apps on tablets/computers that are NOT part of a domain.  Our LOB customers do not have big IT departments.  In many cases, the IT department is the guy who figured out how to set a password on the wireless router.