, wkempf wrote

*snip*

Ignoring the loaded question, yes, I have wanted to "reach out and poke the screen". I know I'm not alone in this, either, as it's a common complaint that after using a touch screen device it's common to find yourself "poking" non-touch screens out of habit.

On the desktop things will be *slightly* different, as the monitor is a bit further away. However, I *have* wanted to purchase a touch screen monitor because I love the touch screen on my laptop so much.

Now that's what I call a minority position. But even if you have the occasional desire to press on "OK" with your fingers, this gets old very fast. Redesigning the whole UI of a productivity OS around such edge-cases is crazy.

It's like designing the OS primarily around voice recognition, because I have sometimes the desire to scream at it!

, wkempf wrote

More to the point, a device like the Surface is something I've been wishing existed for the last ten years, and such a device couldn't exist without Windows 8

Really?

The Surface ios neither full laptop replacement (doesn't function well on the lap) nor a full tablet replacement. The touch-cover experience is also far from ideal. Of course, everyone is different, but I find it really hard to believe that you dreamt about the Surface for ten years.