http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-sales-well-below-projections-plenty-blame-go-around

Sales of Windows 8 PCs are well below Microsoft's internal projections and have been described inside the company as disappointing. But here's the catch: The software giant blames the slow start on lackluster PC maker designs and availability

They are wondering why Win8 sales are lackluster, blame PC makers? REALLY?

The problem with Windows 8 is simply that it feels as if Windows 95 (yea, 95) is actually the successor version, not the other way around.

1. The desktop has multiple windows, Metro has not.

2. Desktop programs can be resized, Metro apps cannot.

3. The desktop has drag and drop between applications, Metro has not. Instead of just selecting the items you want to export and actually move them into the other program, you need to handle with "charms" which comes across far more unintuitive than just dragging and dropping.

4. The desktop has nearly unlimited multi-tasking abilities, Metro has not.

5. Metro apps are far more limited in scope, by design, than desktop programs.

6. Desktop programs have depth and 3D, Metro apps on the other hand seem to be approved by the Flat Earth Society.

7. Desktop programs are usually more colorful and vibrant, the Metro design principle consists of CGA style mono-color.

Winzip for desktop:

WinRT version:

Which one does look more like a C64 program?

8. You can open up other programs in the desktop, through the start menu, without disrupting workflow. On the other hand the start screen is something like the "item menu" in games where you dress up your character with weapons etc. Everyone knows that it is quite distracting switching between item menu and game world in games, and Microsoft brought this concept onto its flag ship product! Hooray.

9. Desktop programs can be easily distributed, Metro apps are locked-in into the store.

And that's just the problem of the WinRT part. The fact that Win8 has multiple control panels and update mechanisms and is a duality monster hasn't been touched upon here. Yet alone that Win8 apologists in all seriousness propose arcane keyboard shortcuts as solution for some of the glaring problems, where previous versions worked just fine without using them.

If an alien would just land on our planet and see Windows 7 and Windows 8 (and its programs) for the first time, without no prior knowledge, he would think Windows 7 is the successor, not 8.

I am not "against change", I am not married to the start menu or Win32. If something truly better would come along, I would be sold. But Win8 just isn't.

I still can't get over it. They took a phone GUI and put it on full fledged computers as default...
The premise is so retarded when you take your time to think about it for more than one millisecond, just unbelievable. Like putting a bike into a car chassis.

That they were able to go with this and run it to the very end is just * incredible.

With these issues, they wonder about the sales of this system? Hello?

Oh man, I swear I seriously didn't want to post another huge Windows 8 post, but Microsoft's blame game and inability too see the forest for the trees is pumping.