So one thing I do is RDP to work a few days a week. In Windows 7 the RDP app was listed in the start menu due to it being used often. It also had a fly-out menu showing the MRU connections. So it was easy to connect to work.

In W8, I have to go to the Metro start screen to start RDP. However the link there doesn't show MRU connections (what am I missing?). So I have to click on the main RDP link and then click the Show Options button to expand it down, then click on Open and then scroll all the way down to select the settings I want.

Now I have a lot of applications. Because of that I don't want to pin RDP to the task bar. Yes if pinned, I can click + drag up and I can get the MRU list. However I don't want to pin it.

So my next thought was to create a specific link to the RDP settings file in the Metro start screen. However it isn't clear to me how to do that. I tried right-clicking on the file but creating a shortcut simply placed it in the same folder. How do I get it to the Metro start screen? I even tried dragging the link to the bottom-left corner hoping the Metro start screen will open so I can drop it there. No luck.

Yes maybe I'm just being stooped because I've only used W8 for 6 days now, but you'd think these things would be more intuitive.

You need to banish the word "intuitive" from your vocabulary.  Why?  The concept of intuitiveness in traditional UI design is 95+% based on personal familiarity, not intrinsic intuitiveness.  You're using the word "intuitive" where you actually mean "familiar".  Consider -- you've been using operating systems with a Start Menu for perhaps as long as 17 years, which is a long, long time when you consider the average lifespan.  People who were born the day Windows 95 came out are out there driving around in cars!  Saying Windows 8 isn't "intuitive" is therefore a bit silly because it's still a brand-new approach to applications. 

Let's go on a little walk through history:

Imagine it's 1985 and you, with your many years of working with command prompts in DOS or CP/M or Apple ][, just sat down at your first Macintosh.  You can't find a command-line interface!  What the hell!  And what's the stupid "mouse" thing for, anyways?  And what are all   these weird symbols on the keys beside the space bar?  But in time, you learned how to move around using keyboard shortcuts; you learned ways to organize your Mac so you can get to everything smoothly and quickly.  You became good at it.  It became "familiar".

Then you tried Windows 3.1 and wrote it off as a toy because it didn't have a menu bar at the top of the screen, where it belongs (amirite?).  The menu bars are on every window!  That's not intuitive, you exclaim.  What the hell! 

A lot of people despised the Start menu when it came out.  (Remember, we didn't have Quick Launch back then, so you HAD to go through Start to find ANYTHING)  People stated -- and by stated, I mean YELLED AND SCREAMED ON USENET -- that nobody would be able to find their applications anymore because they were hidden away in layers of menus.  And the menu is at the bottom of the screen, which is like, totally unintuitive, dude, menus go at the TOP of the screen.

Six years later, you're looking at the OS X dock and going.... what the * is wrong with these people!  I don't want to see my application icons all the time!  I only want to see which apps are running !  It takes up too much space on the screen!  What the hell!  (do you remember when  the OS X Developer Previews were coming out, how guys like John Siracusa and John Gruber, nowadays thought of as some of OS X's biggest fanboys, roundly criticised the Dock for being pretty much totally unusable?)

Do you see what I'm saying here?

You'll learn new ways of doing things in Windows 8.  Maybe you'll start typing "windows, r, e, m, enter" on your keyboard, followed by some downarrows + enter in the connections list dropdown in RDP to select which server you want to connect to.  Maybe, if you really have as many apps as you say you do, you'll put your taskbar into double-height mode, or small-icons mode, and pin it anyways.  (tip: don't pin apps you don't use the MRU for, or that you keep open all the time anyways)  Heck, if you really want to be efficient, create a .RDP file for each of your connections (instead of relying on the MRU), give them very short but distinct names, then hit Windows + F, type that name (maybe it's the last part of the IP address), hit enter twice, and the file gets launched and you're connecting to the server.

In time, you'll find you're doing things as quickly as ever.  It'll become familiar.

But not intuitive, because the only thing that is really "intuitive" appears to be touch...... which is why 3 year olds everywhere are shockingly good at using tablets.