, wastingtime​withforums wrote

*snip*

Of course it has. You were able to transfer licenses from one computer to another with the previous Office versions, that's gone. You need to pay up for every PC install the full price again now, even if your old PC got damaged and you (or the repair service) only installed a new mainboard there. Price increase.

Older versions had dual licensing ("2PC/1 User") - one Office license was valid for a desktop AND a notebook install. That's gone. Price increase.

The family packs for Home and Student introduced with Office 2007 (3 licenses for around 150-160$) are gone as well. Price increase. And a really hefty one for this group. Particulary if they don't need Outlook.

And the free "Starter Edition" is gone as well.

To be fair, almost everything you said is accurate and it is an effective price increase on Microsoft Office, but the issue with the license transfer isn't entirely true:

Yes, you can no longer transfer a retail license of Office (starting with 2013) to another computer. This forces a user to buy Office 2013 retail again if they replace their computer and I too see this as a price increase, of course.

BUT, the EULA defines a computer simply as a hardware system with a storage device. I'm pretty sure Microsoft would have a difficult time convincing a judge that Dell replacing one piece of a "hardware system with a storage device" makes it a "different" computer (Dell does not rip off the service tag sticker and replace it with a new one when they replace a motherboard. In fact, they program the existing service tag into the motherboard). Same serial number = same computer as far as licensing goes, and I'll take that all the way to a judge without a worry.

So yah, Microsoft is now making people pay again for Office (retail) if they replace their computer (which I think is BS on Microsoft's part), but they're not making people pay again if they replace their motherboard, or their RAM, or their power supply.

The loss of dual licensing would really screw me if I was intending on upgrading to 2013. I have two retail licenses of Office 2010 one assigned to my desktop and my netbook, and the other assigned to my other desktop and other netbook. If I upgrade, I'll have to buy four licenses.

As far as the retail license transfer, Microsoft can raise their prices all they want, whether it's a stupid business move or not I really don't know -- but I think machine-locking a retail, store bought license, to a machine upon installation is quite a bit dickish, if not borderline violating the first sale doctrine. The retail license didn't come with the computer.