, Heywood_J wrote

*snip*

Oh well, the good news is that my copies of Windows 7 aren't going to evaporate off my computers.

Yea that was my feeling as well until I realized I had to go to Windows 8 if I wanted to do any Windows Phone 8 development. If it wasn't for that I would not have upgraded either. And this from someone that installed every previous beta Windows release as soon as it was viable.

One good thing is that it does seem faster than Windows 7 when using audio applications. Latency settings can be set lower. This points to some really nice improvements under the hood. If only they didn't...

There's still hope though... Once it becomes clear that very few people really want or care for the Metro UI on a desktop computer, MS can release a patch that restores previous desktop functionality. That includes restoring the Start menu as well as unfuglyfying the desktop UI again. Technically this shouldn't be too difficult and should not break any compatibility. The Metro UI can still be an option, just not shoved down our throats.