, AndyC wrote

*snip*

Under normal circumstances you don't need to close apps, so putting a close button on the switcher is just begging for someone to accidentally "click" the close button rather than on the main switching part. It what sense does it make sense to design a UI such that bringing the app you want to the foreground is easily confused with closing it?

You're argument is all over the place (as usual). So you're saying that people confuse selecting a app via thumbnail (avoiding the "x") verses selecting the "x" to close the app? Oh dear god someone call the Windows Store app IE team! Maybe they can remove their "x" from the tab thumbnails before they launch W8! Hey wait a minute...are you making fun of IE? EvilD: release the hounds...

If the concern is that the "x" may be easily (not confusedly) selected then they could hide the "x" until the mouse hovers over the tile. Oh but that would go against the great Sinofsky who once said "Write for touch, F the mouse & keyboard".  I think that's what he said anyway. Wink

I like closing apps on my tablet so that as I swipe between them (great feature BTW) I don't have to go through this huge list of apps I no longer care about. I guess I'm the only one in the world who does this.

As for Jump Lists, they're very much a file-centric/launch parameter based approach to trying to provide a quick route into an application. When you aren't launching an app, but instead switching too one, they really don't make any sense. Of course an app being able to provide such a quick route into specific functionality, for those who want it, is very handy - so much so that Windows 8 apps can perform exactly that via Secondary Tiles and in a way which is much more flexible than Jump Lists could ever be.

Um no... It's providing a quick route to a file I had recently created. Why do you have to make up stuff like this? Instead of using common sense you create a new problem by suggesting a solution that further clutters the already over crowed start screen. Brilliant.

Yes, really. Aside from Remote Desktop (or an equivalent) how many actual scenarios are there in which you are so fundamentally reliant on a connection to a remote machine that they can't possibly restore a usable UI state before a connection is restored? Can you name even one?

As for improving how it works underneath, yes that can help too. I'd put good money on Citrix doing a much better job when they release the inevitable GoToMyPC Windows 8 app.

Great, Microsoft relying on third parties to fix problems they create rather than providing a good experience out-of-the-box. Keep doing that backstroke Andy.

I'd think that any type of terminal app would fall into the same category as remote desktop. That would also go for any admin tool that monitors and reports health of web sites, server, etc. Oh here it comes...I can feel it: those kind of apps are holding it wrong.

You're argument is all over the place (as usual). If Windows 8 and the Metro approach is, as you say, only good for mobile devices, then it won't be any more of a problem for Windows RT tablets than it is for iPad users. If applications being suspended is as issue for such devices, then naturally it'll also make the iPad (which does the same) a complete failure too (hint: it wasn't) And if it's desktops you're worried about, then the spec of my current PC (which is a laptop) isn't exactly anything stellar, so it certainly won't be over the lifespan of W8. Nor is it necessarily a sign that it'll fail to work on a less capable device either, Notepad on this machine works just as well as it does on a ten-year old PC.

Who said apps suspending themselves was a bad thing in its entirety? Oh that's right you did. I'm not saying that non-active app suspension is a bad thing but for things like remote desktop there should be a exceptions. My issue with closing the app is around the usability of the Windows Store app task bar and task switching via swiping. Seems like the Windows team (along with the over cluttered start screen) is saying "How can we get in your way today?"

So I guess Sven must be using a 20 year old PC then. My bad. Also I'll just ignore the delay it takes for me to power up my W8 tablet from sleep and get to the app I want vs. doing the same on an Android or iPad too. C'mon Moore's Law...you can do it!!! (and before you put words in my mouth again let me clarify this sarcasm by saying that the startup times from cold boot or sleep on a W8 tablet are amazing -- just not as good as the competition.)