I think the trouble is that web developers want one thing, and "people who do web stuff" want another.  It takes all my effort not to roll my eyes when I tell someone I'm a web developer and they say "Oh yeah, I do Wordpress.  You can be technical with me."  I don't mean to belittle the platform, but they're hardly the same thing.

All the developers I know and myself would be very happy with more strict standards and something that we can rely on to be consistent across browsers.  The rest of the web who have the occasional WYSIWYG editors that are poorly made or websites done by people with 10 minutes reading a CSS for dummies want to be able to do the minimum amount of effort required to get their site to look good on the browser they use, and damn the rest of the browsers.

It's a double-edged sword.  It's good because the web is so open and pretty much anyone and their dog can have a website.  And they frequently do.  On the other hand, there's a million websites out there that are made incredibly poorly, but if someone wants to visit that site in their browser of choice and it doesn't look good, it's automatically the fault of the crappy browser.

And while I'm on this diatribe, I should point out that just because a web browser is using Webkit doesn't guarantee it'll look the same as another browser using Webkit.  Rarely a week goes by when I'm not having to put some hack in for Safari that doesn't exist in Chrome or vice-versa.  And I'm not talking about Chrome windows vs. Safari mac.  I'm talking about the same browser on the same platform.  They have completely different rendering problems.