,cbae wrote

*snip*

It was pretty clear from the get-go that Microsoft wasn't going to address any individual concerns until Build. Right or wrong, that was Microsoft's intent, and it was obvious that 4 months of vociferousness and threats to abandon Microsoft's developer ecosystem weren't going to cause Microsoft to change its plan. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft knows that it burned some bridges, perhaps a lot of them, over the past few months. They're now giving you an opportunity to tell them how they can win you back. They can't read your mind. If you think they need to grovel, give you free $hit for life, contractually promise never to pull this $hit again, and say "pretty please", then you need to let them know that.

If you have no interest in going back to Microsoft development, go build your Java application or whatever and destroy your competitor's .NET solution in the marketplace. Taking one last swipe at Microsoft isn't going to do $hit. What's done is done.

Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this one.  They didn't have to say much, but even if they said, "At BUILD, we think you'll be pretty pleased." rather than the message of "Windows8 apps are built with HTML/JS".  MS didn't need to be specific, but by saying something controversial and then nothing gave the impression that they were about to screw existing devs over.  In 1997 that was fine.  Devs had no where else to go.  In 2011 I have to convince devs to stay on Windows -- almost all devs are now getting Macs and beginning to focus on web/iOS/Android.

In any case, this is what I want answered at BUILD:

1) When is Windows 8 shipping?

2) Can the old shell be made the default?

3) What is the Windows Phone story post Mango/Tango?  Does it intersect Windows desktop?

4) Can we get decent Windows tablet HW?

5) Perf has been a killer with modern MS dev tools.  Can we get productive tools/frameworks that don't cripple machines?

6) What is the Office story and Windows8/Metro? 

7) What coming in VSNext?