, vesuvius wrote

*snip*

Silverlight to me was WPF/E, and the promise of a cross platform client was what it was all about. [...]

2 things:

1. if you believed Microsoft that SL was x-platfom, you deserve what you got
  2. if you insisted instead on working with open stuff, you'd be better of now.

Microsoft, here's a free advice for you. Your problems today, I think, are the result of your addiction to licensing dough. It seems that that makes every depatment in Microsoft use tools from other departments exclusively. That makes it hard to find: 

1. A msft employee/presenter using google or chrome or a mac (to me that there makes most demos and tutorials, about html5 specifically, look funny right from the start)
  2. MS software running on Linux/android
  3. I cant come up with 3

That I think doomed Silverlight, since the only way for SL to thrive was if it was a truly open technology. Someone at Microsoft decided that's not to be.

Cohesiveness is usually good, but this whole situation, of being a cohesive company, will cause Microsoft with all of its departments to crash like a lead zeppelin. Sure, they are pulling in $ by the boat load, but if you don't see that Microsoft lost its relevancy i feel sorry for you. It turned out that not breaking Microsoft up turned out rather good for the world (from my POV of course).

Go learn HTML/CSS/JavaScript (you don't even need HTML5 and CSS3 for most scenarios), it's a big and confusing task, and getting more 'interesting' every day with new tools/libs/environments, but you will not waste your time and development $$ like you did with SL.

Also in the last few weeks, i came to the conclusion that XAML, which so many fanboys here tout (what word am i looking for?) as the crown jewels, is the clown jewels, it's a false god which will keep you in the dark for one more generation. Over and out Wink