Now that the new SkyDrive client has been out a week or so what do you think?
I'm really liking it so far:
- Nice integration with Explorer (this opens a ton of options). Works just like any other folder.
- Local cache is great when anonymous crashes the internet.
- Super simple
Not so nice:
- No sync'ing favorites (sure I could make my SkyDrive favorites folder IE's favorite folder but Mesh's simple point-click-and-ship option was better).
- No sync'ing of Office settings (same as previous)
- No peer sync'ing (don't store my gazillions of gigabytes of music in the cloud)
- No ability to share files from Explorer (must go to the web to do it -- which has a great interface BTW).
As others have mentioned W8 will probably have app settings, favorites (desktop IE only), and the like built-in. I really hope for the rest of us they'll include those features in the desktop client.
Currently my setup is:
- Desktops/W8 Tablet: SkyDrive client and Mesh client
- Android phone: DropBox (sync to/from desktop) and 3rd party SkyDrive client
IMO, SkyDrive vs. G Drive (Winner, Loser):
- SkyDrive: My stuff is my stuff, GDrive: My stuff is kinda their stuff.
- GDrive: Sync'able Android client, SkyDrive: 3rd party Android client that downloads data only.
- SkyDrive: 7GB (25GB) great for free, GDrive: 5GB is for wusses.
I think Microsoft has a winner on it's hands if it can finish migrating the Mesh stuff into the SkyDrive desktop client and release a real Android client. It would be great for W8 if they integrated the SkyDrive desktop client into Explorer and expose stuff like sharing options in the ribbon.