@Garulon: "Settings" is not where I would instinctively look for the power switch, setting is where I would instinctively go to change a permanent setting for the system.  In Win7, the power switch is visible as soon as you see the start menu, in Win8 it's a level further down and therefore harder to stumble on then you first use the system.

I tend to switch my PC on and off at least twice a day (I catch up on web/email first thing in the morning, switch off the machine until I get back from work, and then switch it off again at the end of the evening).  Therefore I would want the power button in a handier place than two levels deep.  Thanks for the tip about shutdown.exe, I'll try it out this evening.

Herbie

EDIT: I don't want to sound like one of those people who get all worked up about a single feature change, it's not so much about the power button as about the learning curve for new users and the 'discoverability' of features when you're playing with the system in the first few weeks and days.