,elmer wrote

@devSpeed:

"The difference in an SSD failure and and hard drive failure is this.  When a hard drive starts failing you can recover most of the data. With a SSD it is a sudden and total failure."

ALL hardware can fail suddenly and catastrophically.

I’ve lost count of the number of server drives I’ve seen go legs-up without any warning at all, and not be repairable. Fortunately, with servers and RAID, it's a plug&play solution... but I've also had notebooks/desktops suddenly refuse to boot and not be able to access the drive using recovery tools... in fact we had a period where we almost came to expect it on batch purchase.

To be fair, when a platter drive fails (even catastrophically) you can always take the physical platters out and put them in another drive and hope for the best (if a drive-head crashes, you can still attempt to recover the other platters).

Whereas with SSDs it isn't as easy to recover data off the soldered IC packages; and if the controller goes that stores the block allocation data then you're really screwed.

I wonder how long before manufacturers introduce SSDs that let you have built-in hardware RAID1 or RAID5 by trading capacity for resiliency (but still no luck if the controller dies).