I had an interesting experience today. My parents are currently visiting Japan, and we walked into a Yodobashi Camera (huge electronics store) looking for some headphones. I noticed they had Surface RTs on display (I didn't actually know they were sold in Japan yet).

So I show it off to my mom, who is not the most technology literate person world but does have a Windows 8 laptop for work, an Android phone, and also recently bought an iPad. I showed the touch gestures and some of the metro apps (I had to explain how to close metro apps; despite having guessed alt-f4 would work, apparently they couldn't get that to work on her laptop which as far as I can tell from the way they explained it has something to do with the "make it more like Win7" thing (don't know which one exactly) my dad installed on it for her).

I showed how you have the full Office and told about how an MS employee who sat next to me on the flight from Seattle to Japan (after my job interviews) used his Surface to make (from scratch) the presentation he was going to give in Japan (with the battery lasting the entire 10 hour flight). I showed her the kickstand and the touch and type covers and how they magnetically attach.

I also told her plain and simple that this version of Windows couldn't run regular applications besides Office. I let her feel how heavy the Surface RT is compared to the iPad. I let her try the touch cover to show how awkward it is to use if you're not used to it. I showed her the price tag.

Yet despite clearly explaining the major disadvantages, her reaction still was that she should've waited before buying an iPad. She clearly seemed impressed by it. Big Smile

I must say I was also impressed at how prominently these things were displayed. Before this, Windows 8/RT tablets were limited to two units hidden in between all the Android tablets on the fifth floor. This was front and center, on the first floor near one of the entrances, with big signs advertising it and plenty of sales people lounging around (although that's kind of par for the course in Japanese stores that always seem to have five staff members per customer).