, cbae wrote

...is networking equipment. It's not even close. I can't recall how many times I've had to replace a network switch or WiFi router over the past several years.

I think you perhaps need to qualify that with the equipment quality and environment.

All of the networking equipment in our server room is either HP or CISCO, is all a minimum of 3 years old, and is all totally reliable.

I even have 3 x HP 10/100 switches that are now 12 years old, but I can't bring myself to throw them out, because they just keep doing their particular job perfectly.

Of course, this is all expensive equipment (or was when we bought it) and is running in a controlled environment.

However, even at our remote home-offices, I've only had one failure over many years - and even that was caused by a lightning strike on the comms link to the cable-modem.

Where possible, I prefer to use SOHO equipment with metal chassis, as I believe it dissipates the heat better for environments that are typically not air-conditioned.

For our remote offices we typically use Cisco-800/900 and Netgear-ProSafe equipment, and always install an APC UPS with comms surge-suppressor options. None of it's cheap, but it all just keeps working, so I don't have support issues with it.