Chkdsk in Windows 8 works entirely differently, such that you'll probably not be running it long enough to actually read any output. So I'd not be overly worried about that.

The "technical info" on Bugcheck screens has always been almost entirely pointless, to anyone who has even a hope of making sense of it they're better off attaching the kernel debugger where you can get much richer info. To everyone else it's just scary complicated stuff and they don't know which bits are important enough to describe to anyone they ask for help.

As to the hidden devices issue, I honestly don't think I've ever even noticed it personally. If I'm cleaning up a machine from a virus infection I'd go straight to the underlying registry entries rather than mess around trying to disable them in Device Manager (something it's much easier for them to counter by re-enabling them before you've done anything else). The inclusion of an anti-malware engine in Windows 8 should also hopefully mean that less people actually get infected from day one, or at least have it auto-cleaned without messing around doing it manually.

Not everything that gets removed is a bad thing.