Well I have to agree with the sentiments. I'm trying 2012 more seriously the first time and there are some very subtle differences when writing and editing the code. They are so subtle I don't really notice them well enough to remember, I just get a feeling "this was slightly better/easier in 2008". The most noticeable and annoying difference is that 2012 is just very very slow when I press compile+run (f5) a c# console application. I'd say it's about 5-10 times slower than 2008.

My coding is essentially writing a line or two, f5, modify the line, f5 etc. So if pressing F5 to get the results of this iterative cycle takes much longer, that's easy to notice. I'm not saying that I do F5 so much that it really matters in time spent but when taking time from the moment you have made a change and then want to see the result, and only count that time, over the period of getting an app finished with this style, the comparative difference to VS2008 is massive.

In order to find the more subtle differences when editing, since I don't really remember every subtle difference, one would really need to capture the keystrokes and stuff while editing and compare them side by side on a video to 2008. I recall there were some annoying things in 2008 as well but now it's just more annoying rather than if the 2008 annoyances were improved.

Perhaps the most annoying code editing thing to me is when in C#, I make some edit and the editor doesn't make sure that the code is indented properly, so I feel as if great deal of editing time is spent shuffling code around with copy paste and TAB in order to get the editor to indent it properly, or just have to go and do select and format to get it formatted as otherwise.

eg. lets say I have a block like this

if (true)

{

if (true)

{

}

}

When the cursor is at *, it should *always* be correctly indented, and editor should not allow the cursor to go to the indent level of previous block or the left edge, unless I press # to create a #define or // or /*. So only key press of # or / would cause the cursor to go to left border where I could then manually with single TAB press (automatically add enough tab to match the block indent level) make it go to the correct indentation (position of { + 1 tab).

edit: I just checked this to make sure- it appears that if the mouse click is on left of the correct indent, the cursor will go to left edge and doing a ; will move the text to correct indent level.