, Harlequin wrote

I just don't see the point in "tablets" that small. Phones are starting to creep past 5 inches already. I'm hoping to grab the Surface Pro this Friday, and this will be the smallest I would ever go for a tablet PC form factor. Maybe if I were to go smaller it would be a Kindle or something for reading...

I think putting quotes around 'tablets' was really the way to go, actually. I think at this point, what we call these things is slightly a bit off anyway. We're trying to call something which does more than make phone calls a phone by throwing the word 'smart' in front of it to make 'smartphone' -- and calling anything bigger a tablet, but now we have the form factors meeting up somewhere in the middle around 5-7". It's really all the same thing now except for one little thing -- the one thing that's left, other than size (which IMO is meaningless now), that really distinguishes a "phone" from a "tablet" --- the appearance of a line item on your bill that says "voice." 

What happens when we're all using Skype/Facetime/VoIP for all of our calls? Moving toward that trend, at some point, when we're all using VoIP to make a regular calls, the one remaining vestige of "voice service" will probably be the ability to make a reliable and instantly traceable 911 call. It won't be called voice service anymore since we'll all be using VoIP for our calls, we'd only be using their "voice" service for emergency services. So it'll end up being called "emergency services" on our bill.

So at that point, will we distinguish between a "phone" and a "tablet" based on whether you can call 911 on it?

I think we should just call them all PDAs with different sizes for different purposes, small, medium, large, grande, venti, whatever.