, Vaccano wrote

@figuerres -  I agree that XP is been kept running longer than it should.  But that is because Microsoft failed so hard with Vista.  

*snip*

I agree with you.  What is making me upset is that they are making me pay for their mistakes.  I want them to find a way to kill their products that does not cause me to have to suffer for their mistakes.

They messed up with Vista, they messed up with the SP3 and IE8.  This has resulted in the prologed life of Windows XP.  This FACT is there: A quarter of all machines in North America are using it.  Developers should not have to take the hit (in either lost customers or extra development and support costs) for Microsoft's mistakes.

Making developers suffer because they have caused XP to live longer than it should have is NOT the right way to force out XP.

Seriously, the Vista alibi is getting old. Whatever opinion you have on Vista, the hard numbers tell you that business users are still massively excercising their downgrade rights today (ask yourself how is it possible that 80% of your customers are still on XP, three years after Windows 7 was released).

That's not Vista, it's companies running poorly written software that doesn't run in Vista+ that it would cost way too much to fix. They are squeezing the most out of their investment, that's understandable, but they are the ultimate reason why XP is still around. Vista, SP3, IE8: that's utter BS.