I managed to install in a VHD, which worked (even though the setup said it couldn't install it on the VHD, it did so anyway Perplexed ) although it's not exactly the fastest way to run Windows, it seems. Some stuff like creating my user profile took very long.

That start menu is already bothering me. What's the equivalent of start, right-click computer, manage in this system? Or start followed by any of the libraries? I use those a lot. It's going to take a lot of time to get used to it. The whole immersive experience is also still pretty buggy, but that's to be expected at this point.

Heck, even logging off is complicated. You need to open the start screen, click your user tile on the opposite side of the screen, and then pick log off. Okay, so ctrl-alt-del works too but this is fairly stupid.

What Windows is lacking now is a non-intrusive way to start applications that aren't pinned to the task bar, or to do searches. Having to switch to this start screen, hiding everything else, just to start notepad is insane. And where's my list of frequent apps? I use that a lot as well.

It also seems that if you create an account using a Windows Live account it automatically means you need to log in with the password for the Windows Live account (unless you create a PIN) which is a very long and complicated password in my case (because I hardly ever need to type it). Not very nice.

I also think the whole concept of "immersive apps" is flawed on the desktop. I want games and movies to be immersive, not apps! I don't run anything fullscreen. There's lots of stuff I don't even run maximized. This whole "one thing at a time" (or maybe two if you snap one to the side or something) just doesn't strike me as useful on the desktop, but by removing the old start screen it's forcing me in that UI every time I want to launch something.

The other changes they've made on the desktop side of things are pretty nice, such as the multi-monitor taskbar, the new task manager, I even quite like explorer with the ribbon. But this immersive stuff has not left a good first impression. I just don't see why I would want it on the desktop. I want a way to use Windows without ever having to see a full screen immersive app, ever.