@DCMonkey Yes. They still need to be implemented into a WinRT API to be available to a language projection, and I wasn't saying that Microsoft had a monopoly on wrapping API's, only it's why new Win32 features don't get implemented into the BCL often times, and how one of WinRT's goals is to solve that.

@brian.shapiro I have no doubt that WinRT will eventually be available to desktop applications. Simply put, there is a fear in a lot of .NET developers minds that WinRT will replace WPF, which is simply not the case unless Metro is allowed to run on the desktop as well, which currently it cannot. WinRT makes specific assumptions, for example, that only one Metro application is open at a time, which would not be suitable in the desktop environment. Things can change, but since it is just rolling out as V1, not anytime soon.

@Charles Agreed. .NET is not suitable for OS development. Also, you have done PLENTY of .NET coverage... countless interviews with Anders, Bart De Smet, Erik Meijer and more... so I don't understand why it's an issue. .NET lives because of native and they should be greatful that C++ is evolving into a even more modern language.

There are too many new areas to cover right now.. C++ 11, Windows 8, Visual Studio 2012, .NET 4.5, C#5, VB, the list goes on. Poor Charles cannot cover them all at once! Unless maybe you have a few clones laying around.