Vista has two backup utilities.  One creates an image of your system that you can use to restore your system in its entirety to the state it was in at the time of the snapshot.  (This takes care of registry settings, address books, e-mail, user profiles, and the odd assortment of third party software you may have installed.)  The other allows you to save some set of files that you consider critical.  Of course, neither solution is compatible with NTBACKUP.  On two separate occasions, the Mumbai Branch of Microsoft Product Support Services has informed me that problems with NTBACKUP are "outside the scope" of their responsibilities.  In other words, a new generation of developers is now working at Microsoft.  They took one look at NTBACKUP and said, "What is this dreck?"  Then went about creating its replacement.

Incidentally, I was trying to mirror drives on Windows XP, only to discover that the feature is permanently on offer yet grayed out under all conditions.  That's a kind of false advertising that comes from relying too heavily on discoverability to patch holes in Help.  In depth reading of the foundation texts reveals mirroring is available only on Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and Windows 2000 Datacenter Server.  Also, one might imagine, Windows 2003 Server, and Windows 2008 Server.  The command line DISKPART utility actually spells out the reason why mirroring doesn't work:  It isn't supported on Windows XP.  The GUI silently makes the feature unavailable for reasons unstated.  I wish a grayed out menu item could be right-clicked to get an explanation why it cannot be used.