Greg M wrote:

Hi again, Richard!

First of all, many thanks for all the effort you're putting into helping me with this.  I posted this query on one or two other forums & not only did I not get help, I didn't get even a response!

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm using XP Home Edition, so features such as gpedit.msc just don't exist.  Similarly, the link you posted regarding Group Policies isn't applicable, as I don't have any such policies.

Yeah, that's fine. I'm merely stating that on an XP Pro system, the 'Everyone' permissions no longer applies to the 'Guest' account (or the Guests group ?).

However, knowing that, I'm not sure what the situation is with Home. But given that Home forces all network users to 'impersonate' a Guest, doing this would stop networking altogether, because of the default behaviour of the sharing wizard(s) - using 'Everyone' when setting the ACL.

Anyway..

Greg M wrote:
  Another point (I don't know if it's relevant or not) is that there's nothing listed ("there are no items to show in this view") in the Sessions panel of the Computer Management tree.

Yes, you need to have an active session. It also does not refresh itself, so you do have to use the refresh option. This shot is from XP Home, which I have running in a Virtual PC :

Greg M wrote:

I've searched through the registries on each pc & the entries are quite consistent - i.e. wherever there's an entry for Folder A1 on pc A, there's an equivalent one for folder B1 on pc B; likewise for folders A2 & B2.

And your searching the Registry because ?

Greg M wrote:

The thing that puzzles me is the fact that folder A2 is openable on pc B, but folder B2 is not openable on pc A.  As far as I'm aware, each pc has the same "status" - i.e. there's no master/slave or client/server arrangement, and each folder has been set up in an identical manner on each pc.

I thought I'd answered that. Have you tried adding 'Everyone' to B2's Access Control List (ACL) ?

Here an example session I just did on my XP Home Virtual PC:

C:\...>cacls c:\temp
c:\TEMP Everyone:(OI)(CI)C
BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
VPC-XPH-1\rr:F
CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)R
BUILTIN\Users:(CI)(special access:)
FILE_APPEND_DATA

FILE_WRITE_DATA

C:\...>cacls c:\temp /e /r Everyone
processed dir: c:\TEMP

c:\TEMP BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
FILE_APPEND_DATA

FILE_WRITE_DATA

C:\..>cacls c:\temp /e /g Everyone:C
processed dir: c:\TEMP

c:\TEMP Everyone:(OI)(CI)C
BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
FILE_APPEND_DATA

FILE_WRITE_DATA

First I list the current ACL of a folder that was shared using the Sharing wizard.

I then revoke 'Everyone' from it's ACL.

Then I add "Everyone' back.