Now that I've committed one partition on one machine to W7, I find I am unable to use Visual Studio 2008.  The Internets (cf. Our Former President)) show people discussing this matter with early builds of W7 back last winter and spring.  On my machine, at first Visual Studio 2008 had trouble running MT.EXE.  So, I inadvisedly deinstalled Visual Studio 2008.  All attempts to reinstall under W7 were thwarted with an error code 2908.  This is accompanied by a derogation of the "package" that I am trying to install.  I proved that wrong by successfully installing the package under both Windows 2003 Server and Windows XP.  One the one hand Microsoft marketing wants people to migrate to W7.  On the other Microsoft slaps people hard who do.  Paid support over at Dell referred me to Microsoft technical "support" who advises that "support" won't be available for W7 until October 20, 2009, or thereabouts.  Should I swear off W7 permanently or will Microsoft explain why their premiere compiler suite doesn't work properly on the latest in operating systems?  Just asking.  No harm intended to the jobs of people at Microsoft or the corporate entity itself.