I am sorry I was trying to reply to another post.  This has to do with Exceptions when running the Battle Tank part II.

Here is the error:
System.TypeInitializationException was unhandled
  Message="The type initializer for 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Manager' threw an exception."
  Source="Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D"
  TypeName="Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Manager"
  StackTrace:
       at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Manager.get_Adapters()
       at BattleTank2005.GameEngine..ctor() in C:\Projects\BattleTank2005\BattleTank2005\GameEngine.cs:line 23
       at BattleTank2005.Program.Main() in C:\Projects\BattleTank2005\BattleTank2005\Program.cs:line 17
       at System.AppDomain.nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)
       at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

When I was adding the wrong DirectX reference to the project I had duplicate function names and this I think is the root cause of the problem.  I had the IDE VS2005 resolve the conflict by adding an app.config file to the project with the resolve conflict wizard.  To fix the problem change the reference back to the Microsoft.DirectX version 1.0.2902.0 and remove the app.config file from your project.