, cheong wrote

@evildictaitor:We may want the IDE, but we're not going to be able to justify the cost to upper level with just a better IDE, but without significant difference to the apperance/performance of the application we write. People who buy their own tools like me is the minority, most people just be able to use whatever programming tools provided by the company.

That's the reality, I think.

If the new VS2011 IDE improves the productivity of your staff, that's still a valid reason to upgrade - regardless of new UI/perf in the compiled application. If you have 100 staff and they all become 20% more efficient, you're working as hard as if you had 120 staff - and that 20% spare time that just opened up will make more of a difference to the look and features of your product than any amount of fancy new perf or UI that comes out of the compiler.

Just for instance, intellisense and the static analysis (warnings) in VS2011 use the VS2011 toolchain not the VS2010 toolchain, and hence even if you're compiling in VS2011 with the VS2010 toolchain there's still added benefit.

Whether that's worth the price of the upgrade is not my call - that's up to whoever pays the bills in your company and how more (or less) effective VS2011 would actually make your team.