Entries:
Comments:
Posts:

Loading User Information from Channel 9

Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9

Latest Achievement:

Loading User Information from MSDN

Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN

Visual Studio Achievements

Latest Achievement:

Loading Visual Studio Achievements

Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

Discussions

Blue Ink Blue Ink
  • SP1 breaks iTunes

    @1____1: What has robots.txt to do with anything? Its purpose is to prevent crawlers from indexing public resources; browsers simply ignore the whole thing.

    @PaoloM: The link works just fine here (IE9). The only issue I observed is when your location settings cause a redirect to a google server in a different domain (e.g. www.google.it). In that case, the fragment is lost and you wind up on an empty home page. Not sure if that's google's fault or IE's.

  • SP1 breaks iTunes

    @1____1: Ok, so your theory is that Microsoft released W7 SP1 knowing it would break at least a few iTunes user (either making sure it did or by noticing during testing and keeping silent about that). I can follow you so far.

    What I cannot understand is how a Service Pack released in February 2011 (and in public beta since July 2010) could possibly break iTunes 10.5.2.11 which was released just 33 days ago. Care to elaborate?

  • Titanic 2

    @BitFlipper: those aren't exactly uncharted waters... a collision with another vessel might be kind of justifiable if all the electronics went berserk, but hitting a rock is just ridicuolous (not in the funny sense).

    What I'm hearing hints at gross incompetence and negligence. Hard to believe that something like this could happen to Costa.

  • Energy Usage for Math = Dark Energy?

    @ScanIAm: Math stores energy as mass. This can be readily proven by observing that an old well-worn laptop weights a lot more than a brand new one. Smiley

  • Kinect for PC cost 250 USD?

    @figuerres: the way I undestand it, the main point of the new sensor is "near mode", which might provide a viable alternative to touch on the desktop (where touch doesn't work that great to begin with). It's unlikely that the optics of the old sensor would work well.

    If that works, I wouldn't be surprised if sensors were integrated in PCs and laptops sometime in the future, with the obvious consequences on price.

  • Jetbrains Kotlin demo running online

    , Ray7 wrote

    *snip*

    Does make me wonder why they have decided to put colons all over the place. Doesn't do wonders for readablity in my opinion.

    Apparently, Pascal postfix typing is all the rage these days, not sure why. That's one of the mistakes lots of wannabe Java killers are making... they add a few long needed features to the platform, and tons of syntax sugar, but they shoot themselves in the foot imposing an alien syntax.

    This said, the language includes a couple of features that I'd like to see in C#... the most interesting being the automatic type inference in code, as in:

    if (o is Foo) {
      o.SomeMethodUniqueToFoo();
    }

  • I'm liking the new Nokia Lumia 900 but the 800 is nice too

    @dentaku: the display looks awesome, which fixes one of the very few things I don't like about the 800. On the other hand, it would seem they moved the WP buttons closer to the lower edge of the phone, thus undoing on of the things I liked most. Oh, well...

  • Duolingo

    @JoshRoss: Interesting, but I'm not sure I understand how it would work in practice. The main issue I see is that English is by far the most popular language on the web these days _and_ it's also a popular choice as a second or foreign language at school in several countries.

    Think of Sweden, for instance: 85% of the population speaks English more or less fluently, so they are unlikely to sign up to learn it online. It would be up to the remaining 15% (minus non-Swedish speakers, minus those too old, too young etc.) to provide enough translators to make the whole effort noticeable. Paint me skeptical.

  • WP7 Odd USER feebacks.

    , magicalclick wrote

    @Blue Ink:

    back button does not close Zune MP3 player and last .fm radio.

    That's the reason for the "kind of works", and why I think that a better mechanism would be good to have.

    @Bas: probably the same way you find out that you need to flick up the lock screen, or pretty much everything else: by accident.

  • WP7 Odd USER feebacks.

    @magicalclick: Actually that looks like a good idea. Closing apps with the back button kind of works, but it's hopeless if the app happens to be using the back button for something else (e.g. IE).