Comments:

Comments

Charles Charles Welcome Change
  • Neal Christiansen - Inside File System Filter, part I

Jaz wrote:
    how about a podcast with those who don't wish to be seen on video

It's more a matter of not wanting to be interviewed than a matter of not wanting to be on video. We respect people's right to not take part in this. After all, not everybody likes to be asked questions and have their answers shared with the world, be it on streaming video or audio-only. Maybe they are shy or simply just don't want to do it. It really doesn't matter what the reason is. Channel 9 is all about respect.

Note that we seldom if ever just tape random people, though it does happen rarely, especially when we tour around product teams. For example, we interviewed Herb Sutter recently (VC ++ Architect and ISO C++ luminary) and ran into somebody in the hall that told us all about the experimental compiler framework called Phoenix.

We always set up interviews ahead of time.

Charles
  • Neal Christiansen - Inside File System Filter, part II

dnrfan wrote:
    No Audio when viewed externally in WMP.

I'm not experiencing this problem. Which version of Windows are you running? Which version of WMP? Could be a problem with the stream due to network conditions? The video file is fine.

Charles
  • Neal Christiansen - Inside File System Filter, part II

Drexthepimp wrote:
    I want to see some interviews with the inventor of c#

Check out the Anders Hejlsberg videos.

Charles
  • Neal Christiansen - Inside File System Filter, part I

Gandalf wrote:
    The Channel 9 Team wrote: Dave Cutler is definitely still around. In fact, Neal mentions him on part II of this interview.

Brilliant Smiley

Is there going to be an interview or a video with him?

Probably not, sorry. We tried... However, there WILL be some other kernel heavyweights coming to theatre near you Wink

Please stay tuned.

Charles
  • Neal Christiansen - Inside File System Filter, part I

Gandalf wrote:

By the way, who works on the kernel team at Microsoft?

Several people work on the kernel team (Neal is one of them) and you are going to meet more KernelPeople in the near future. Stay tuned.

Charles
  • Neal Christiansen - Inside File System Filter, part I

littleguru wrote:
    Could you also do some videos with Raymond Chen (blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing) he really knows a lot about Windows. It would be cool seeing him talk a bit about his experiences.

His blog btw. is wonderful to read.

Raymond does not want to be interviewed on camera and we respect that. Sorry. We tried.

Charles
  • Neal Christiansen - Inside File System Filter, part I

koorb wrote:

Excellent video!
    Some of the videos don't have much useful content, but this is very educational.

Neal mentions the Crash Analysis reports. Is there any chance of Channel 9 finding-out what happens to those automated reports, and why sometimes stuff is uploaded and other times not?

Glad you liked the video. There are more Neal vids coming soon.

Perhaps we should interview some of the CA people. Wink
  • Neal Christiansen - Inside File System Filter, part I

Sven Groot wrote:
    Pretty interesting stuff. We need to have more videos like this, digging deep into Windows (or other MS technologies).

It might be a good idea to have a video with someone from the kernel team explaining how the NT kernel works. Not everybody here has read books on that, and I'm sure many people would be interested. Even better, get someone who can really tell us why certain things are designed the way they are, and what the benefits or disadvantages of that design have turned out to be since the conception of NT. This video already does some of that, but it focuses on one area of the kernel. Not that that's really a bad thing, but I just think it'd be a good idea to try and paint the big picture too.

Funny you should mention this, Sven. Smiley

I am going to introduce a new series on Channel 9 in the relatively near future which I'm calling Deep Windows (but that may change). This video is in fact a precursor and your reply gives me even more incentive to make Deep Windows a reality. Also, I will be starting a more speculative and theoretical "interview" series that will include roundtable discussion among very big thinkers here at Microsoft.

It's going to be a deep year on Channel 9.

Going deep,

Charles

EDIT: I'm leaning towards calling the series Going Deep. Yes. That's it.
  • Kit George - Tour of .NET CLR Base Class Library Team

scobleizer wrote:
    I try to get the geeks at Microsoft on video.

For all you fellow non-geeks out there; don't worry. Not everybody we interview is a geek. Smiley

I'm no geek,

Charles
  • Introducing MSN Toolbar Suite -- Redmond Team

Analise wrote:
    Something is wrong with the Save link !

It appears to be a bad URL. We'll get this corrected. Sorry 'bout that.

Charles