Comments:

Comments

Charles Charles Welcome Change
  • Mark Boulter - talking about Smart Clients and Windows Forms, Part II

dantheman82 wrote:

These videos required editing, I think.  He had 15-20 min. of material...

Agreed. We will do a better job of editing where appropriate. In general, too much editing decreases the raw and honest realness that is becoming our trademark style. In other words, we want you to feel like the interview is happening while you watch it; live, but not live. Just real.

dantheman82 wrote:

A smart client needs to have a smart element which has learning or hides unimportant data from the user or does something useful like that.  It can really be done in any language (unmanaged or managed), and it ultimately has to be useful.

Yes, I for one think that if an application has no facility for understanding my typical behaviors (associated with the specific application's functionality and my needs) and no capability for behavioral prediction of user actions, then the application is not very smart. Asynchronously detecting network connection state, checking remote data stores/email servers, synchronizing offline data caches, etc are not particularly smart actions, but they are certainly very useful. MSR is working on some very interesting applications that implement machine learning and AI, which in my assessment can legitimately be coined "Smart".
  • Mark Boulter - talking about Smart Clients and Windows Forms, Part II

PerfectPhase wrote:
    staceyw wrote: Still no definition of Smart Client unless I missed it.  Seems it is another word for WinForm app to me.  If it is because it uses the network or port 80 then it should be WinForms Network Client.  WinForms clients have been clients in a client/server area for a long time so maybe just a new marketing term to refer to a WinForm client that in network enabled (i.e. WSE, Indigo, sockets, etc).

Outlook 2003 is one of the best examples of a smart client I've seen.  The way it swiches seamless from online to offline and back is what makes it smart compared to a classic client/server where when the network connection to the server dies the app packs up and shuts down.

Stephen.

You are spot on. Outlook is THE prototypical example of a Smart Client. Keep in mind that Outlook is not a managed application. It's written entirely in unmanaged C++. So, is there really a connection between managed code and "Smart" client?
  • Mark Boulter - talking about Smart Clients and Windows Forms, Part II

I need to stop saying "we'll probably need to cut this" since we don't edit! I'll work on that.

Charles
  • Scott Guthrie - Talking ASP.NET and IIS 7.0

It's important to realize that the ASP.NET team has been the greatest (and earliest) adopter of .NET inside our walls and are true champions of the CLR. Much kudos to the ASP.NET team for what they've done with CLR-based technology. The feedback they've pumped back to the CLR team since very early on has benefited all of us today.

Can you guess how much of ASP.NET is written in C#? You'll find out in the second clip, but go ahead and guess.

Thanks,

Charles
  • Kevin Schofield - Tour of Microsoft Research, Part I (graphic and developer tool research)

We just need to figure out how to use Scoble's nifty new camera. Sorry about the resolution problems of late. We'll figure it out.

C
  • Constanze Roman - Writing documentation for mobile devices

Adolph Hitler wrote:
    I previously placed a comment here and was censored by Americans. Democracy.

I removed your comment as it was offensive (as is your user name).

Respect is required here. Please adhere to this simple rule.

Thanks
  • Suzanne Cook - Developing the CLR, Part I

That's Robert Hess.
  • Suzanne Cook - Developing the CLR, Part I

Beer28 wrote:
    Charles wrote: When you sit down to have an informal, casual chat with somebody do you give them a list of quetions ahead of time so they know what they are going to say before you ask questions?

We don't do this type of thing on Channel 9, and we won't. Perhaps I need to do a better job of making people feel comfortable. What do you all think? I'd appreciate feedback.

Charles

I noticed you glaringly stare at people with your eyes wide open in most of your interviews, this is a little brutal, but if i was in her chair I'd have been a little freaked out.

I know you may not do this intentionally, but it almost seems like you're bored and want them to finish their answer. Scoble comes across like he just came home from a kegger or a house party. This is also pretty brutal, so Scoble, skip this, Like "woah, that's cool heh heh, here's another question somebody off the street might pose, I'm going to go get some twix out of the vending machine now". It's not totally that way, I'm exagerating it to try to explain what I'm talking about.

So take it or leave it, there's my honest feedback. You guys need to watch some dave letterman, jay leno, or conan obrien. Charles seems on the spot with technical questions that aren't too technical, but lacks the warm character of a good interviewer, and Scoble, he's just Scoble I guess.

I'm not perfect either, so I'm not saying this to ripp on you guys, you asked for feedback.

Thank you. This is helpful. I will work on getting better at this. This is all pretty off the cuff and very often my questions are born during the interview (there is nothing as pure and honest as spontaneity). I try to keep the technical stuff approachable since we want these interviews to appeal to a wide audience.

Please always feel free to give feedback on what we do and how we do it.

Thanks again.

Charles
  • Suzanne Cook - Developing the CLR, Part I

Beer28 wrote:
    Charles wrote: Yep. She's shy, as are many people. Not everybody around here feels the need to talk about themselves and what they do effusively, unprovoked.

I'd say that "interrogation" is an entirely incorrect expression for how the interview was conducted.

Blogs are nice because it lets people format and revise what they're going to say before they say it in writing.

At some late night talk shows they will have a rehersal before the actual taping.

Maybe it would make people more comfortable if you gave them a list of questions you're going to ask ahead of time. At least people that are camera shy.

Charles