Comments:

Comments

Dan Fernandez Dan
  • This Week on C9: May 9th, New tools, new records and ratings, flying pigs, and a .NET app to Pwn Rock Band

Bas wrote:

Obviously it couldn't be stuff like "Will this and this be in Windows 7" or "What company are you guys secretly planning to buy now", but perhaps it could be things like "What the hell is up with Ultimate Extras" or "How will IE8 impact the sidebar and development for it".

That should be doable given the right expectations and at the very least we can get an official answer from the horse's mouth even if it is likely to be PR/marketing-ish reply...

littleguru wrote:

Dan wrote:

TommyCarlier wrote:
    Calling niners sounds like a good idea, as long as it doesn't end up like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jHafp4R4Ho

LOL @ video. Interesting, I like this idea and yI'd be willing to give it a shot, I need to think through how we do this (technically) as I'm not sure we have a way to put callers through over a loud speaker...perhaps we'll do this using Live Meeting or Messenger?

What's the right way to do this?

- Should we do it a la Call for Help where we take folks questions?
    - Get some niners to respond to new announcements (eg: Yahoo + MSFT)
    - Have folks send in pre-recorded (audio or video) comments or questions on a topic?
    - Something else entirely?

I like the second option the most: get some niners to respond to announcements or stuff like that.

Also the niner could have a "pick of the week" thing: like the niner pick... could get interesting.

For getting niners thoughts, any idea on how to "pick" who should be in? Perhaps just leave a section to read people's comments on stories, niner pick of the week would work too Smiley

TommyCarlier wrote:

What's the right way to do this?

- Should we do it a la Call for Help where we take folks questions?
    - Get some niners to respond to new announcements (eg: Yahoo + MSFT)
    - Something else entirely?

Minh wrote:
    ...watching this right now... just wanted to say that the

"Low res" & iPod versions are of last week's show....

update:
    For a really good interview on MaryJo's book go to the Windows Weekly podcast # 57

Where MaryJo talks to Paul & Leo about MS 2.0.

(was Dan mentioned in that podcast as well?)

Good catch, my bad, updated the links.

As for Mary Jo on TwiT, I'll have to check it out. I doubt I was mentioned though as Keller and I are below interns:) and the big news at that time was Yahoo+Microsoft.
  • Mike Klucher: XNA Framework games running on Zune

wisemx wrote:
    Very cool.

Dan...How do you cause your video subjects to start each sentence with "So"?

Off topic, but so true Smiley

Alas it's a Microsoft thing, I have no idea why, but most conversations at Microsoft start with "So"....

For amusement, I did a Live search on "So" at blogs.msdn.com and there are 968,000 results (lots are duplicates though) with everyone doing this from Larry Osterman, the VSTS Process blog, the Sharepoint blog, Tim Sneath, or even the Jobs Blog.

If I had the time, I'd go through and snip a bunch of execs and C9 interviews with just the word "So".
  • FeedSync: Synchronizing the Mesh

DCMonkey wrote:
    Um, it's playing a "This Week" video.

My error, the streaming and large download links were pointing to the wrong video...copy/paste bug in-between two browser tabs when posting, sorry!
  • This Week on Channel 9: April 25th Episode

odujosh wrote:
    Elephant in the room:
    I have watched a few videos on Live Mesh. No one has talked about how collaboration will work with Live Mesh. If Odujosh and Charles are both editing a document on the mesh online how is merging handled.

What if we both edit the same sentence without checking for a synch. How is the interactivity scenario for this handled.

I didn't think to bring this up during the show, but EricRempel asked the same question and Ori from the Live Mesh team responded here, which I'll copy/paste below.

The mesh synchronization infrastructure essentially detects conflicts at the DataEntry level – so in the case of file synchronization, this happens at the file file/metadata level.  While the system is able to resolve conflicts “automatically” if needed, in general it leaves the conflict resolution logic to the application layer.  For example, using the scenario you describe below where “two users are working on something and one saves right before the other” – the mesh user experience (e.g., Live Folders) will prompt the user with information about the two conflicting files and allow the user to select how they would like to resolve the conflict.  This approach enables applications which are able to handle conflicts at different levels to apply the appropriate logic for their users.  In other scenarios where multiple users may be editing different DataEntries within the same Feed in the system – the system will automatically apply merge semantics for the changes.

• Ray Ozzie: Introducing Live Mesh

RichardRudek wrote:
    I don't know why Dan doesn't post the low res link, [but here it is] 131.6MB.

I right-click then choose save as file.

Fixed.

I normally don't think to do it for content that's less than half an hour long, but I should probably just do it for all videos I post.
  • This Week on Channel 9: April 17th Episode

Bas wrote:

That's pretty cool, it'd be sort of a variation of the clip recording tool we (used to?) have. Except a bit more useful. It'd be great if you guys could pre-tag them with 'chapters', because as you said, especially in some of the longer videos you sometimes just want to see the demo or whiteboarding to see if whatever the video is about is of interest to you.

Definitely agree on pre-tagging, the only other thing I would want is URI-based tagging so that way I can email/IM someone a URL that would start on a specific tag.
  • This Week on Channel 9: April 17th Episode

Bas wrote:
    Nice episode as always, guys.

I know the dev team is probably swamped with work, but I still have a feature request for the video player that would be especially handy for TWOC9 episodes...

Thing is, I love the fact that you guys mention the various topics discussed in the video and list the times, but skipping to them is a bit awkward. When you drag the progress..slider..thing on the player, the timer freezes, and doesn't get updated until you release. So you have to sort of guess where, for instance, 5:26 is on the time bar, drop the slider there, see where you ended up, and then adjust until you're at the right spot.

One 'simple' way of fixing this would be to update the timer on the video while you're dragging the slider around, so you can see the exact point where you drop it.

A cooler way, though, would be supporting chapters. The TED videos have this, for instance. It'd be sweet if all the different topics you mention in the post would be separate chapters, and the next chapter/previous chapter buttons in the player would allow you to skip to them. (I have no idea what those buttons do now, by the way. They seem to just skip two minutes ahead/back?)

I agree with you WRT being able to jump around within a video. I personally think this would be good for all videos as a lot of time someone just wants to see the demo or just the whiteboarding, etc.  Viddler.com has a very cool player that JeffSand turned me on to, check out :

It's player has a way for *anyone* to tag a timeline and description for something interesting in a video. This would be great for us and for fellow C9'ers to be able to tag parts of a conversation or demo that they found interesting.