Entries:
Comments:
Posts:

Loading User Information from Channel 9

Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9

Latest Achievement:

Loading User Information from MSDN

Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN

Visual Studio Achievements

Latest Achievement:

Loading Visual Studio Achievements

Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

Discussions

Lazycoder2 Lazycoder2
  • Athenians? or Spartan?

    I give you SecretGeek's guide to how naming at Microsoft works.

  • Crashes with animated cursors. What the hell?

    Man, if you can't trust the little walking dinosaur and the drum to not crash your machine, who can you trust?

  • Whats your cell-phone ring tone?

    "Play that funky music white boy" by Wild Cherry for certain calls

    The theme song from "The Muppet Show" for all others.

  • Mix07 is going to be interesting

    For those of you playing the home game.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem


    An Ad hominem attack is a logical fallacy. If I say, "Scoble is an idiot", I'm not presenting an Ad Hominem attack. If I say , "Scoble is an idiot, therefore he is wrong about this thing" and don't present any counter evidence, I'm presenting an Ad Hominem argument.

    Saying, "Of course Rory would defend Microsoft, he works there" or "Scoble is just poting sour grapes because he doesn't work for Microsoft anymore" are also examples of Ad Hominem arguments.

    Remember kids, insults are not Ad hominem.

    Next time, we'll tackle the Strawman. Wink

    That being said, this kind of post by robert DOES fall into the "Scoble formula", if there is such a thing. Make a post based on inside information but make sure the post contains none of the inside information and just serves to essentially say "nyah, nyah. I know something you don't know and I'm not tell-ing!" And it was old even back in the Longhorn hyping days on his blog.

  • Human​Compiler.​Reproduce();

    I talked to Jason Olson a couple of weeks ago and told him "you have no idea what's coming and no one can tell you what to expect because it's different for every person who is a parent."

    And it's true, you have no idea what's coming, what it's going to be like, neither does anyone else.

    Hmmmm, winter in western Washington, 20 week ultrasound(?) When was the blackout again? Wink I bet a lot of babies are born in September in WA this year.

  • Adobe's Apollo is awesome.. what has MSFT got ?

    Save me from having to type more angle brackets. Please. I'm tired of $#@$@ angle brackets. My "," and "." keys are worn to a nub. My shift key is floppy and has no spring left.

    No more angle-bracket based UI. EVER. Angle brackets are for giving structure to unstructured data.

    Please, just let me use plain text w/o angle brackets to define my UI. Or better yet, graphics. Let me just draw the picture, designate things as clickable/draggable/somethingable and hook them up to my controller.

  • Apple getting a clue?

    MrJay wrote:
    
    Lazycoder2 wrote:Really? Even if you enable the Universe and Multiverse repositories? I haven't looked for those specific drivers, but I was able to install the Flash 9 plugin from the multiverse repository last night.


    Flash 9 plugin != driver.  Comeon, surely you can do better than that.  I mean hell I spend half my day making sure my sandals don't fly off my feet and I can still manage, so what's your excuse?


    I was looking at it from the proprietary vs. free package standpoint. Not plugin vs. driver. I know that Ubuntu doesn't provide proprietary software in their canoncal repository but they are in the multiverse. I thought that maybe the ATI/Nvidia drivers might be in the multiverse. Which would be easier than installing from source.

  • Apple getting a clue?

    Ray6 wrote:
    

    Yes, that is a good example; unfortunately, it is very rare.  While I was using a Mac app, I usually found that it was a case of form over function. I couldn't find a personal finance application that comes close to matching the functionality (or ease of use) of Money or Quicken



    I belive all Apple computers come pre-loaded with Quicken. I've been looking at a new financial app called Cha-Ching. It looks promising, at least for simple financial management. It's nowhere near as fully-featured as Money/Quicken. Which, in my mind, is a good thing. Smiley


    Ray6 wrote:


    Not really the same; although Windows does have Win32 (and that was a nightmare) it also had a huge range of other toolkits from companies other than Microsoft. .NET has the same advantage; lots of third party tools and a whole host of languages, and not just from Microsoft. On the Mac platform, you basically take what Apple gives you.


    Not really. There are a lot of 3rd party frameworks out there to make the OS X devs life a little easier. The Omni Group has a few. There's no where near as many as there are for the Windows platform, but I think that's a function of market share.

    Ray6 wrote:

    Lazycoder2 wrote:
    That being said, the Leopard release will bring some HUGE changes to the Cocoa framework. Garbage collection being the one I'm most looking forward to.


    Better late than never, I guess ....



    You said it. Retain/Release gives me COM flashbacks. Bleh.

  • Apple getting a clue?

    MrJay wrote:
    
    Are you an idiot?  Try updating those versions of the proprietary drivers that ship with each verison of Ubuntu. Oh thats right you can't.   At least not from their repositories.  You have to download ATI's installer, build the modules/packages from the commandline and then install the resulting .deb packages yourself.

    Of course as Ubuntu user, you already know this.  You are just hoping that we don't.  Too bad you were wrong, eh?


    Really? Even if you enable the Universe and Multiverse repositories? I haven't looked for those specific drivers, but I was able to install the Flash 9 plugin from the multiverse repository last night.

  • Apple getting a clue?

    Ray6 wrote:
    
    Agreed. Mac applications do less, because the API doesn't allow them to do more without jumping through hoops.  There is also almost no third party Cocoa frameworks for Cocoa, which doesn't help either.


    I don't know about that. Some Mac apps do a hell of a lot considering how bad some of the API's are. Delicious Library is a great example of that. The barcode scanning feature, uses any iSight or digital camera plugged in to scan barcodes off of books/DVDs/CDs/Games, is an example of this. I think a lot of the Mac apps do less because they realize that piling features into an app just for the sake of features or trying to get the 1%-2% of people who might use those features isn't worth the time or effort.

    Ray6 wrote:


    Mac developers are enamoured with Cocoa and ObjectiveC, but they would be enamoured with anything Apple gave them, because they actually haven't got a choice. If you dip into Mac developer forums though, you will see that they do spend just as much time fighting with API bugs as anyone else. If Apple did release Cocoa for Windows, they would get a lot of Mac developers releasing apps for Windows, but I don't see Windows developers rewriting all their stuff in Cocoa, just to run on Macs.


    Mac devs are enamored with Cocoa and ObjectiveC because they toiled and slogged through the Mac toolkit and Carbon API for many years. It's the same reason that Windows devs liked the .NET Winforms namespace when it was first released, warts and all, after having suffered through the raw Win32 API and GDI for so many years. If you've spent all your time with 100lb weight on your chest, moving down to an 80lb weight seems like heaven.

    IMO the strength of the Apple platform doesn't lie in the Cocoa framework. It's in the Darwin kernel and the Quartz graphic framework.

    That being said, the Leopard release will bring some HUGE changes to the Cocoa framework. Garbage collection being the one I'm most looking forward to.