Comments:

Comments

Rossj Rossj
  • MIX 2008: What the hell is this MIX thing, anyway?

Minh wrote:
    The barrier-to-entry to web development used to be really low. (Once you've had access to a web server), you can script your way to a decent site. These were the ASP, PHP days. Even when you throw in database access, you can still copy+paste your way through it.

The barrier to entry is still low - you just have to look outside the Windows World. I do this a lot, and specifically because I don't want my world view to be limited by what Microsoft wishes me to use.

How many of the *big* web-apps use Microsoft technology? I'd guess, and it is a guess, that the number is small - not that I am suggesting that either technology is better than the other, but buying into Rails or Django/Turbogears doesn't tie me into what Microsoft thinks is right ... and doesn't try and force me into working with my designers in a certain way.

I'm only being negative because everyone else is Smiley

• The C# Disco Floor Guy - Clint Rutkas

He really needs to hook up with my friend Martin who just delivered a video curtain to a cruise ship (which looks awesome and also driven by C#) - it would be totally Disco-tastic!
  • Mike Swanson: SWF to WPF Converter

This looks interesting Smiley

macbirdie wrote:
    It's as if a thousand Adobe developers scream in terror and are then suddenly silenced.

Until it supports ActionScript I don't think anyone is *too* worried.  Of course a XAML-SWF converter would be spectacular and allow Microsoft to take advantage of the huge installation base of Flash.

I'd always thought the SWF spec proprietary though, I'm surprised it is as open as it appears to be.

Edit: Having thought a little more about it, isn't there a Javascript implementation for the CLR? ActionScript is essentially the same (EcmaScript) - although I guess it would involve reworking all of the existing Flash AS apis.
  • Five on Nine - Pilot Episode

Very cool, looking forward to more (even a couple of guest Niners once in a blue moon would be cool too).

Oh and Adam, if you sit like that when you are coding, you are going to totally bust up your knee - trust me. It hurts. Lots.
  • Vittorio Bertocci: WS-Trust - Under the Hood

That looks like really interesting stuff, and I think I'd like to see more WS-* stuff.  But how does Microsoft view Tim Bray's criticism of WS-*? He's particularly scathing of WS-TRANSFER quoting someone as saying it is HTTP over SOAP ..

Time Bray wrote:

No matter how hard I try, I still think the WS-* stack is bloated, opaque, and insanely complex. I think it’s going to be hard to understand, hard to implement, hard to interoperate, and hard to secure.
    ...
    I look at Google and Amazon and EBay and Salesforce and see them doing tens of millions of transactions a day involving pumping XML back and forth over HTTP, and I can’t help noticing that they don’t seem to need much WS-apparatus.

• London Niners: Tour, Drinks and Debate

Sabot wrote:

DDD4 would be a cool place to meet up as there is a likelihood of more 9'ers being there!

I was planning to try and make it to DDD4 and was even considering driving down anyone from up North who might want to go down - but I was only going to go to heckle Blowdart Smiley

I still think we should have a Euro geek meet or try and get some of the European Niners to DDD4 and make a weekend of it.

• Rory Blyth: The Exit Interview

Yay, way to go Rory ... that's definitely put me in a better mood now .. now I am sure someone much owe me $5 ...

Rory wrote:

As for the other ideas - I certainly like them. In the meantime, we could just do what we did in the old DnR days and have an IRC room (if that's OK with the powers that be).

W3bbo already setup #channel9 on efnet, and some of use Gabbly so we can chat and watch at the same time ..
  • PhotoSynth: What. How. Why.

Fantastic - this could be such a good way of recording archaeological sites than the current 2d photos and drawings, I am guessing the moment any archaeologists see this they will be knocking down your door - well done with that ..
  • An interview with Jamie

I was a bit disappointed with how infrequently you said 'eh'. Definitely a cool way to learn more about niners though ..
  • New Role for Bill in July 2008

littleguru wrote:
    Microsoft loosing another face

But it'll be great to have Ray Ozzie as CSA - he *knows* about collaboration.  I can't wait for his C9 debut Smiley