I had to bail out after 20 minutes. Does the lightswitch tool create C# code that provides all the functionality featured? Do I run the app in the browser or the desktop?
Jul 28, 2010 at 1:19 PM
Is there still a need for ViewData to pass arguments to a Master page or an EditorFor template partial view? What is the reason for limiting a view to a single model object? Would be neat to be able to pass arguments from a view to a master page.
For some reason, sql server gives me all sorts of grief when I do installs, edition upgrades or try to use it from a user account.
( on that first case, I am 2 weeks in and MSDN still cannot correct the problem. Not that they are putting much effort into it. But it is an open case. )
Ideal, I think,would be if every process had a run log associated with it. Apps would have a common, always there, place to write diagnostic and error messages to. Pretty much what the IBM AS400 has with job logs and spooled output files. In the case of my sql server troubles, when sql server decides it can't do something it would write detailed info about the error to the run log. Windows would store the run logs of completed processes. To review a problem, open up the runlog of the completed process and review the messages.
Can I halt a running process in Windows and then examine the call stack of each of the threads of the process?
Will system internals tools be released as open source? I have Mark's latest edition of the system internals book. I would have gotten more out of the book if it showed how to get at the sys internals info with your own windows and kernel api code.
Some unordered thoughts:
- the planet runs out of oil in, what, 150 years? Coal and natural gas will also be depleted in a time frame close to that of oil.
- Once the use of fossil fuels ends, the earth should recover from the damage done. No?
- It is the huge and growing population of the world which is what endangers us and the planet.
- Every year, something like 3 million more people immigrate into the US. Those additional people both increase the American use of oil, they also decrease the amount of open space in the country. The less open space, the less the capacity to capture energy from the Sun.
- I could go on, speculating about what comes of society and the planet when 10 billion people run out of the natural resources which enable a huge population to support itself. But I will not. I don't want to sound overly hysterical.
- Holy cow, man. Think of what the future holds for us!
any value to running WHS as the home network router? I am running into limitations with consumer grade routers as I try to manage and access multiple IP cameras deployed on the network. I was told I need one to one NATing to map a block of static IPs to individual cameras. But then a Verizon tech told me their FIOS service router can route from the web to multiple cameras. Anyway, there is a lot I don't know about routers. Might be nice to have a home server that could provide a common set of features for routing traffic from the web to the systems on a home network.
any explanation why windows 7 backup to windows server is so slow?
Can the PC control the web cam, make it swivle to a different position? Can it work as a motion and sound detector, signaling events on the PC when motion is detected in the room? Basically use the web cam as part of a security surveilance system.
The internet based surveillance cameras don't allow a PC program to control the camera to the degree I would like. ( based on cursory research. )
"... So I trust you are also not doing business with any other company that plays by the rules China lays down in order to operate there. ..."
Granted, I don't have the guts of my convictions to switch to programming google and Linux applications. I don't see the need to not do business with China. ( If the US would only balance its budget it would not have to do things contrary to its morals and beliefs, like disrespecting the Dalai Lama, at the direction of China. )
I see a search engine as much different than other goods and services. The search engine is what people use to get information. If Microsoft works with the Chinese governemtn to censor that information, that is just terrible.