Comments:

Comments

irascian irascian Irascible Ian
  • Joe Stegman talks about the "WPF/E" CTP

Not sure why the video length is listed as over an hour (1:03:50) when it's actually just under 37 minutes.
  • Five on Nine - Pilot Episode

For me the show is treading an awkward line between being what I'm interested in (allowing a few Microsoft guys to discuss current hot topics and present a more human face) and what it has to do to survive on Channel 9 (which ultimately has to represent Microsoft without leaving the company open to legal action or presenting it in a wholly negative light).

That line became very obvious in Jason's comment about Larry Ellison - it's the sort of comment that I'd expect to hear (maybe I'm just bitter about the four weeks I spent working for Larry in Belmont Wink) and would be echoed in normal rational conversation about a topic, but had to be stamped down for fear of crossing the line.

Truth is we're people and people have opinions and people make decisions. If you can't let people express those opinions things ain't gonna work, and they typically result in the far more interesting conversations anyway that open up whole topics of interest.

Other than that my only comment would be that it's not a good use of video. For me it's a podcast. Not sure how you fix that. You don't want to go the "production" route of the .Net show, but a fixed camera of four people without hi-def video is kind of pointless and when the camera does move it's kind of shaky and annoying.

If you want strong audience figures for future shows you need to get over the annoyances because half an hour is a lot of time to commit on a weekly basis the camerawork (or lack of camerawork) is frankly so off-putting that I can't see more than the "hardcore" usual suspects from the Coffeehouse bothering each week. Everything else about it is fine and I thought the mix of people was really good too.

• Rory Meets Da Team

Fun video. You do realise you're gonna get bombed with "Hire me!" spam now don't you! Wink

Good to hear so many people mentioning WPF/E - it had all gone quiet. Hopefully a video on WPF/E to follow?
  • London Niners: Tour, Drinks and Debate

Cybermagellan wrote:
    hehe...that video was great...funny in the video Ira says not to feed the trolls yet replies to fdisk on this very thread *ahem*.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt but you're right it's very quickly become obvious that we have another troll in our midst.

I was specifically talking about Beer, Orbit 86 and then Eagle - people who post many many threads that people could never stop from responding to. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think fdisk has posted that many threads.

I think when someone's only made a few postings you have to give them the benefit of the doubt, otherwise you end up with situations like the guy who posted in the last day or two he was afraid of posting because "half" (!!!) the people who post here get called trolls.  There have been days when someone new has come in, posted on a "sensitive" subject and immediately got flamed unnecessarily.
  • London Niners: Tour, Drinks and Debate

fdisk wrote:
    Here. Let's try this. Your undying enthusiasm for this site is really odd. Are you trying to get hired by them?

If you'd spent more than 5 minutes here you'd know that working for Microsoft is the last thing I want to do (nothing against Microsoft it's just that having worked for IBM, Amdahl, Oracle, Ford and a whole bunch of other companies in the past I feel I've "been there, done that"). Not that I haven't had friends inside who've tried to persuade me to go for interview. I prefer being my own boss although age will undoubtedly start making that more difficult as time goes on.

I too have been a coder, a software architect and a bunch of other things. None of which bears any relevance to posting stupid comments like "Does this constitute drinking on company time?". What exactly was the point you were trying to make, other than to make some pathetic snarky comment? And so what if it HAD been on company time (as stated above, it wasn't) - who cares?

fdisk wrote:
    Why do I feel like you have this huge chip on your shoulder?

I see absolutely nothing in Sabot's post (to which your quote above was a reply) that would indicate that. Your posts on the other hand.....

footballism wrote:
    Ian is really really an old man. I am just curious whether or not he's still writing code

Well thanks for making my day!

I've been self-employed as a "developer/lead developer" for the last 10 years (spent a brief period as an architect but missed the hands-on and took a rate cut to move back to being lead developer in that same organisation).  The longest down time I've had between contracts has been 4 weeks (my choice - I wanted to go to New Zealand) so yeah, I still write code and people seem to be happy to keep paying me to keep writing code and (touch wood) renewing a contract has never been a problem - when I've left a company it's always been my choice.

I think the problem for most of my clients over the last 10 years is they've typically hired all those wet-behind-the-ears youngsters who are too focussed on what's "cool" rather than what's cost-effective or what their customers want, so they hire an old fart like me to pick up  the pieces of disasterous projects and mentor the silly young puppies Tongue Out

rory wrote:
    Bloody hell, Ian. I miss you

I'm flattered! Miss you too, mate. Not going to make Tech-Ed this year but seriously thinking about Mix-07 as I've never been to Vegas and it's a chance to mix business with pleasure. Hopefully you might be there with Channel 9?

sabot wrote:

Ian/Barry/Sarah wanna come ?

Hard for me to commit to anything at the moment - things are incredibly manic on the work front with a deadline at the end of October that can't be moved. I've also (somewhat optimistically given the work situation) got a ton of stuff on with the London Film Festival which continues through that weekend.

DDD4 will be better for me, or if you push things over into November I'm hoping to have a free weekend then and could manage a trip oop North.

sabot wrote:

Ian does great hugs

You're still sulking 'cos I said I didn't fancy you, aren't you! Tongue Out

I'm not a "huggy" person other than with people I know really, really well. Or with women who offer a hug first and seem far less hung up about that sort of thing than guys.

• London Niners: Tour, Drinks and Debate

fdisk wrote:
    So...does this constitute drinking on company paid time?

Fdisk, you're becoming extremeley tiresome lately. What exactly is your point? As it happens the video was recorded on a Sunday afternoon/evening, but your comment is ridiculous anyway.

As for the moderation question, things can turn into a witch hunt very quickly (just look at some of the responses in that competition thread). What people who keep crying for moderation are really saying is they can't turn the other cheek or ignore people who say stupid things. Whenever this subject has come up it's usually been "I should be a moderator because Charles is never here". In my experience moderation ends up starting more flame wars than the posts that allegedly were the reason for its introduction. Look at some of the abuse that's been aimed at the moderators here in the past just because they've gently chided someone for a post. That situation will get a hundred times worse if you start acceding to the "I wanna be special so I've got something to brag about - make me a moderator" brigage Tongue Out

Beer28 was something else in that he totally dominated the forums and turned trying to destroy the place into a full-time job. Worse he started threatening people off the boards with time-wasting legal threats etc. The guy had a screw loose and got to the stage where he didn't deserve anybody's respect. I can't really think of anybody else in the several years I've been here who came close (well, OK, possibly orbit86). He was the exception that proved the rule!
  • London Niners: Tour, Drinks and Debate

Well that was embarrassing.

Just in case anyone's interested the Larkware site that Dave mentioned (which each day summarises interesting stuff found on the web for .NET developers) can be found here: http://www.larkware.com/ - definitely worth subscribing to their feed and checking the daily update if you're a .NET developer.
  • An interview with Jamie

Good interview and fun to get to see and hear one of the regulars here. Nice one Jamie and whoever it was (why not tell us?) who did the interview?
  • PDC05 Buzzcast #8 - Contest Winners

The Download link gives a "Not found" error and clicking on the "Play" button in Media Player causes nothing to happen.
  • PDC05 Buzzcast #6 - Stuart Celarier on BOFs at PDC

Stuart Celarier wrote:

Yes, that's me. Nice of you kind folks to remember.

Don't let them get to you Stuart. YOU had the moral high ground and the law is on YOUR side whatever the views of the bunch of Warez users and students who have decided to react to your stand with nothing but personal attacks.

Anyway on to the subject at hand....

I can't get into the Birds of a Feather web or session web site (see separate long whinge thread in the PDC bar) despite being registered for PDC, but I'd like to see something on Accessibility. In the UK we have DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) which is our equivalent of the US's Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act Amendments of 1998.

Microsoft have been notoriously bad at supporting Accessibility with many of their products, although they tend to pay lip service to the minimum requirement levels and there have been some hotfix rollouts to fix SOME of the problems with VS.NET 2003.

But even with those rollouts anybody trying to use ASP.NET server controls out of the box is strictly speaking breaking the law on DDA compliance and it's a ton of work to wrap these controls and "fix" the many problems with them. Whidby goes a long way to solving most of the problems, but there are signs that it still doesn't meet the level of requirements most of us would like.

I think it would be good to have a discussion on the future of Accessibility support in Microsoft's products - whether we're talking far greater use of CSS, fixes to ASP.NET server controls that don't meet the highest level of standard some of us would like, acessibility improvements in IE7 or whatever. Today meeting the legal requirements of DDA compliance and aiming for the highest level of compliance adds significant cost to development projects and it would be good to find out how companies are dealing with these challenges.

Cheers,