I just want to clarify events leading up my hotmail/live account being locked.
I originally signed up for a hotmail account sometime around 1998. When I signed up at that time a phone number wasn't required and nor was a secondary email address. At some point in time my Microsoft converted my hotmail account into a "live" account.
Five or six weeks ago whenever I wanted to post here or check my email live began asking me for a phone number to send me a text message. I actually don't use a cell phone often, and when I do it's a prepaid cell phone, which is a great money saver.
About three weeks ago when I attempted to use hotmail I found I was locked out. Microsoft wanted to send me a text message to authorize my account to a non existent cell phone. Since I actually had no contact information, the hotmail site wanted a secondary email, but would only send the recovery information to that other account email some random time over a 30 day window (according to the instructions I would see whenever I tried to log in here or at hotmail or with any live serve for that matter).
Additionally, since my account was locked, it also put my other accounts in jeopardy. I could not get messages from godaddy, newegg, ebay, monoprice, ect. All of this because Microsoft decided that because I pressed skip a few times when asked to provide a cell phone number for authorization code text message my account would be locked.
I've since updated all my contact information for godaddy, ebay, and more to use my gmail account, which doesn't lock me out when I press skip if they ask for a cell phone number.