TommyCarlier wrote:At least they got the J right.
Love that quote. However, this is an Eclipse plugin, so I'm not so sure they did get the J right. Those using Netbeans may be upset that this JThingy won't work there. Then again, maybe not.
Loading User Information from Channel 9
Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9
Loading User Information from MSDN
Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN
Loading Visual Studio Achievements
Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements
I'm not sure the "Java faithful" are worried (though maybe the should be). I think what happened here is someone decided to code up his own take on an ORM. With tight integration with an IDE, some of the headaches of traditional ORM implementations can
be lessened (not sure they succeeded there, but I can see the attempt being made). Once created, we have to find a name. Hey, there's this nifty name over here that we can borrow and get attention using, even though there's basically no relation at all.
IOW, this was a very bad "marketing strategy" by IBM, and not a general indicator of the Java community at large.
But wow! I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that this was called JLINQ. Such a horrendous mistake. And the fact that there's 7 up votes and 3 down votes on DZone for this! And one of those down votes was my own, and another was from "blowdart.signon.com" who I'm guessing is our blowdart, and he probably found this and voted it down because of this post.
I've found some interesting things on DZone, but there have been enough questionable things on there lately (including a post about an article I wrote for CUJ years ago), that I'm wondering if it's worth continuing to monitor that one.
First, using the name LINQ may be legally safe (I don't know), but it's still shoddy of a company such as IBM to do such a thing. Second, using such a name certainly makes you expect it to be similar in concept, which this surely is not. Third, in what way can you construe this to be "language integrated query"? There's no language integration of queries being done here. You write actual SQL code and let the IDE translate that into more traditional code. This makes it not even an interesting take on an ORM, let alone LINQ.
I found this on DZone: http://www.dzone.com/rsslinks/jlinq.html. Can't believe it's being voted up there.
Edit: Oh, and "objectization"?!? WTF!
I graduated in '92, in Nebraska. Bad economy, coupled with there being few technical jobs available in the region any way meant it took a long time to find something. When I did, it was working for a grain mill. So 70% of my job was non-computer related. I hated that job, but put up with it for about 2 years. Then a head hunter contacted me at work with a position writing software to track credit card fraud. Much better.
A reboot resolved the issue. No clue where it moved the profile to in order to be able to restore it, but it appears to be back to normal.
It didn't move it. Your "empty" profile was a temporary one used in lieu.
Jason Cox wrote:Ouch, that's gotta hurt...
I've installed the updates so far on three Vista machines, two x86 (one of those on a domain) and one x64 and havent seen any problems yet.
Was there anything weird in the Event Log?
Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile.
DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
Windows has backed up this user profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backup profile the next time this user logs on.
Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.
I don't see any "backed up" profile anywhere. The last one makes me concerned that this will now be a repeating loop.
And no, I don't expect many (any?) other people to have this issue. But since I don't know what caused it, the warning to backup first seems justified to post here.
I installed the new Vista updates and they appear to have wiped out my user account. The account is still there, the password still works, but once logged on I see that it's like it's a brand new account. Everything was wiped out of My Documents. AppData
is cleaned out. The desktop only contains shared icons, and none of the personal icons I'd placed there. The start menu no longer has any of my recently executed applications. My home page was reset. And on and on and on. Everything is as if this were
a brand new account.
I can't say for sure that this was caused by the Vista updates, but it occurred after the reboot from the last update, so it seems likely. I'd just recommend you ensure you have a backup of your documents before applying these updates.