This week on Channel 9, Dan and Brian discuss the week's top developer news, including:
- Silverlight team -
Silverlight 4 for Facebook
- Interesting because: It's a beautiful app that shows off Silverlight 4 features, including Out-of-browser support
- CodePlex team -
CodePlex now supports native Mercurial
- Interesting because: Mercurial is a popular distributed version control system (DVCS) and Brian Harry who runs
the TFS team said that "I fully expect that we will be adding distributed version control to TFS"
- Nic Fillingham -
Help Desk with Chris Pirillo pilot aired on Channel 9
- Interesting because: The feedback from the show was mostly positive and Chris plus some Windows gurus worked well.
- Bertrand Le Roy -
Server-side resizing with WPF
- Interesting because: If you need to dynamically create images on the server-side in ASP.NET, you should use WPF instead of GDI+
- Pete Brown - Win 7 Driving using the
Windows Sensor and Location API and WPF 4
- Interesting because: Pete built a demo that plots his GPS coordinates on a x-y grid (vehicular etch-a-sketch) and Pete discusses changes in the location API for the RTM
of .NET Framework 4.
- Tina Wood -
157 PowerPoint Templates
- Interesting because: Chances are you're not the best PowerPoint designer so being able to look through a series of reusable nicely design slides will make your life easier.
- Walter Ferrari -
Excel file viewer in Silverlight 4
- Interesting because: You can visualize Excel data in Silverlight and it's a working example of how to read xlsx files.
- Justin Angel - What you can do with
Silverlight 4 COM+ support, via
- Interesting because: It's the best summary of what you can do, including read/write to any file, run an exe, add to startup, execute SQL, use Text-to-Speech, and more
- Scott Guthrie -
Extensible Output Caching with ASP.NET
- Interesting because: Output caching now supports extensibility so you can create your own output-cache provider.
- Phil Haack - Two ways to do Editable routes -
FileSystemWatcher (full trust) and
- Interesting because: The filesystemwatch method enables you to not have to restart your app domain to add/edit routes and the comments provide good alternatives to different ways to have editable routes.
- Jason Haley -
How to query Azure log tables with LINQPad
- Interesting Because: Using LINQ on data tables makes it easy to sort and filter your log file data
- Eric Lippert - The difference between a
destructor and a finalizer
- Interesting because: A destructor is deterministic (you know when memory is collected) a finalizer is non-deterministic (the garbage collector decides when to clean up), and the C# spec incorrectly uses the term destructor while the CLI
spec correctly uses the term finalizer.
- VB Team - What didn't get into
VB10 - A future wish list
- Interesting because: The VB team wants your feedback on which features are the most important and why.
- Coding4Fun - Louis Ingenthron -
Making an Ocean with XNA
- Interesting because: Walks through how to simulate an ocean in XNA including using high-level shader language (HLSL)
Picks of the week