Entries:
Comments:
Posts:

Loading User Information from Channel 9

Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9

Latest Achievement:

Loading User Information from MSDN

Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN

Visual Studio Achievements

Latest Achievement:

Loading Visual Studio Achievements

Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

This Week on Channel 9: Feb 8, 2008 Episode

Download

Right click “Save as…”

This is Episode #2 of This Week on Channel 9 a weekly recap show of our favorite things for developers including Channel9 videos, samples, bloggers, news, and much more.

This week we cover:

0. Changes to the show based on feedback, our name courtesy of Ian and ChadK, and Benny Hill style set adjustments including more light! (0 - 2:45)
1. Microsoft and Yahoo: What could it mean for developers and Brian Shapiro's Coffeehouse thread (2:45 - 7:59)
2.  Windows Server 2008 Launches, Alex Hinrichs, Windows Server Project Manager talks about Server Core, his favorite feature (7:59 - 9:32)
3. Under-Reported Windows Vista SP1 features for developers via Tim Sneath including new kernel, and 3.0 SP1 red-bits (9:32 - 12:30)
4. Charles Torre's Lang.NET interview with Erik Meijer, Gilad Bracha, and Mads Torgerson including Gilad's soundbyte on whether C++ is dead, and discussion of people loving to hate C++ (12:30 - 14:56)
5. Free Tool for LINQ: LINQPad by Joseph Albahari (14:56 - 15:40)
6. Guitar Matey: Building a 3D XNA Game by Dan Waters (video)found via Coding4Fun (15:40 -16:35)
7. CodeProject: Windows Forms Wizard Control with Visual Studio Designer support by Manish Kumar, found via Jason Haley's blog (15:40 - 17:51)
8. Brian's Pick of the Week: MySpace adds WCF and Silverlight support for developers, via Michael Scherotter (17:51 - 19:02)
9.  Dan's Pick of the Week: Screen-scraping function that converts HTML tables from a Web site into a DataSet, by Mark Smith (19:02 - 20:30)
10. Wrapup, Superbowl predictions from last week, college insults, and a clip on Alex Hinrich's getting banana cake and a nice pen.

Tags:

Follow the Discussion

  • ChadkChadk excuse me - do you has a flavor?
    Damn, that C9 dude sure did look heavy! Expressionless
  • Tommy CarlierTommyCarlier Widen your gaze
    Great show: short, to the point, funny, with great content.
  • Vesuviusvesuvius Count Orlock
    Succinct and necessary. If you guys polish this up, this will really go places. After a busy week one can get the salient details, and your nuggets are excellent (missed Linqpad and the Vista/Sneath stuff - so onto that now).

    Well Done!
  • CharlesCharles Welcome Change
    Excellent! Smiley

    RE: Big 9 Guys. Back in the day, we had them made as part of an internal C9 "marketing" campaign. The idea was to put them in random locations around campus to evoke curiosity from passers-by. Never happened, but it was a good idea. Glad to see them being put to good use!

    C
  • irascianirascian Irascible Ian
    Great second show guys.

    Love the title graphics and the way Dan and Brian balance each other out.

    Most of all I like the fact it's not much more than 20 minutes long.
  • Dan FernandezDan
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, our goal is to keep it to ~20 minutes every week going forward Big Smile
  • The show looks like it was shot in widescreen but it plays back in a regular shaped player window so everything's all stretched vertically.
  • dentaku wrote:
    The show looks like it was shot in widescreen but it plays back in a regular shaped player window so everything's all stretched vertically.


    Whaddaya mean? We're just really tall! Wink

    You observed correctly. We had a setting on the camera wrong that we didn't notice until after the shoot. Sorry about that. We'll try to look out for it in the future.

    And to echo what Dan said, thanks for all of the positive encouragement! We enjoy doing this so as long as you enjoy watching it we'll keep filming. Big Smile

    Brian
  • Oh and one more thing we already noticed, the font size on some of the slides is too small. We're going to work on that in the future, but in the meantime if you view the download version it seems to work best.

    Did I mention that we have zero budget and that I do all of our editing? It's a learning curve! Smiley

    Brian
  • ChadkChadk excuse me - do you has a flavor?
    briankel wrote:

    Did I mention that we have zero budget and that I do all of our editing? It's a learning curve!

    Brian


    Really? Are you using one of the Microsoft studios, or whats the deal with the set? It looks rather big!
  • Chadk wrote:
    
    briankel wrote:

    Did I mention that we have zero budget and that I do all of our editing? It's a learning curve!

    Brian


    Really? Are you using one of the Microsoft studios, or whats the deal with the set? It looks rather big!


    It's not "Microsoft Studios" but it is a studio at Microsoft that our team set up in a building across the street from where Dan and I work. It is primarily used for filming On10 shows but that usually leaves a lot of spare studio time, so we were lucky enough to be able to book a few hours each week with Robert (our awesome camera man and technician who you see during the Benny Hill sequence). The room itself is probably 15x15 feet.

    Brian
  • Much better than first time...
    Thx..

  • briankel wrote:
    
    dentaku wrote:
    The show looks like it was shot in widescreen but it plays back in a regular shaped player window so everything's all stretched vertically.


    Whaddaya mean? We're just really tall!


    Or maybe just really skinny Smiley
  • Tommy CarlierTommyCarlier Widen your gaze
    If you've won over Irascible Ian, you must have done a really good job Wink
  • Only thing better than Tip of the Week would be Tips of the Week. I'm finding the tips to be potentially very helpful.
  • irascianirascian Irascible Ian
    TommyCarlier wrote:
    If you've won over Irascible Ian, you must have done a really good job Wink


    To quote despair.com "Mediocrity: It takes a lot less time and most people won't notice the difference until it's too late". And while that may be the mantra of the masses, SOME of us have standards and look at the long term and reality Tongue Out

    But you're right - they have done a really good job. Big Smile
  • Tommy CarlierTommyCarlier Widen your gaze
    Sometimes you sound a bit naggy and "old" but I don't remember you ever writing something untrue. You were the one that convinced me that it's not a good idea to just jump on any new technology without thinking, especially when it comes from Microsoft. Just this morning I was curiously looking for news about Acropolis and I stumbled upon an MSDN forum post that stated that Microsoft would not release a new CTP of Acropolis. Just like WinFS, Microsoft will "integrate parts of it in future technologies".
  • Lloyd HumphreysLloyd_Humph If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Ask A Ninja!
  • The audio is a bit obnoxious ("walkie-talkie sound"), but otherwise I like these videos. I don't mind long videos, as long as they're not artificially drawn out.
  • esoteric wrote:
    The audio is a bit obnoxious ("walkie-talkie sound"), but otherwise I like these videos. I don't mind long videos, as long as they're not artificially drawn out.


    10-4, esoteric. I don't notice the same quality on any of my machines when I play it back but if anybody has ideas for what might be causing the walkie-talkie sound qualities please let me know. As I mentioned I do all of the editing myself so maybe there's a trick I can apply in post-production, or while filming, to improve the sound quality.

    Thanks for the feedback and the kind words; over and out!

    Brian
  • RoryRory Free Tibet While Supplies Last
    briankel wrote:
    
    esoteric wrote:
    The audio is a bit obnoxious ("walkie-talkie sound"), but otherwise I like these videos. I don't mind long videos, as long as they're not artificially drawn out.


    10-4, esoteric. I don't notice the same quality on any of my machines when I play it back but if anybody has ideas for what might be causing the walkie-talkie sound qualities please let me know. As I mentioned I do all of the editing myself so maybe there's a trick I can apply in post-production, or while filming, to improve the sound quality.

    Thanks for the feedback and the kind words; over and out!

    Brian


    For the "walkie-talkie" sound, it sounds like you guys are just peaking - it's distortion.

    I don't know what kind of lapel mics you're using, but there ought to be two settings on the things. One is probably the channel your wireless transmitter is operating on, and the other should be the gain.

    Just turn the gain down. You can always boost the audio when editing - just use a Normalize effect - but you cant undo the distortion if it's part of the recording. Best to be safe and record at a lower lever than crank up the gain.

    For the aspect ratio problem - I did that a few times. But you can save the video by rendering it in a letterbox mode. I don't know what you guys are using for editing, but if I remember, we had a chat about Premiere Elements. I haven't used that package in a while, but I'd be really surprised if there weren't a way to render in 4:3 with a letterbox mode turned on. If you don't see it among the rendering config, it might be an effect you can drag onto the entire timeline.

    Yeah. I've been there on both of these things. Hope this helps...
  • Rory wrote:
    Hope this helps...


    Hey Rory, nice to hear from you! Yes this is definitely helpful, thanks much. Smiley

    I don't remember if the lapel mics had such a setting but I'll ask Robert our all-knowing technician to look into it.

    As for the aspect ratio Robert did re-render the video in 4:3 for me but obviously there's still some distortion there so either we're missing a setting or it's just an artifact of the transformation which you can't avoid. Moving forward I think we'll just add it to a pre-recording checklist to make sure we've double-checked that setting on the camera rather than try to muck with it in post.

    Brian
  • Christian Liensbergerlittleguru <3 Seattle
    Awesome show guys!!! Smiley Keep the Benny Hill sound Big Smile
  • ivan_ivan_ g
    Very nice show!

    But some of you guys REALLY NEED TO LOOK IN THE CAMERA not somewhere else. Otherwise it looks weird Sad
  • BasBas It finds lightbulbs.
    Awesome, banana cake and a pen!

    Good job, guys. The show is going very well, can't wait to see what it'll evolve into.

    If I have to criticize: there was some grumbling online (or maybe just the places I visited) about SP1 having RTM'ed, but not being released until March. (And yeah, I know that that's changed somewhat now.) I would've liked to have heard some sort of comment on that. But hey, can't catch 'em all.

    Anyway, it's looking great so far. Can't wait for next week's show. I love the amount of feedback you're giving in these threads, too.
  • Bas wrote:
    Awesome, banana cake and a pen!

    Good job, guys. The show is going very well, can't wait to see what it'll evolve into.

    If I have to criticize: there was some grumbling online (or maybe just the places I visited) about SP1 having RTM'ed, but not being released until March. (And yeah, I know that that's changed somewhat now.) I would've liked to have heard some sort of comment on that.


    Hi Bas - thanks for the kind words. Smiley

    My apologies, I did in fact see your question on last week's episode and at the time we filmed I didn't know the answer myself (remember, unpaid interns are a notch higher than Dan and me Smiley). But as of today there is much more information available here and here which explains the delay.

    I realize it's not ideal for people who want SP1 yesterday and I would probably feel the same way if I were in your position. But there are some incredibly smart people at the helm of that release and I trust that they have weighed all of the alternatives before settling on this approach. Believe me - nobody wants to get it out to customers more badly than they do!

    Hope that helps a bit.

    Brian
  • Dan FernandezDan
    Thanks Ivan, this is *so* me, I think Brian does a better job at this then I do, I'll definitely work on it Smiley

    ivan_ wrote:
    Very nice show!

    But some of you guys REALLY NEED TO LOOK IN THE CAMERA not somewhere else. Otherwise it looks weird
  • Excellent show, I'll definately be watching these from now on!

    Keep up the good work.

    Mark
    http://aspnetlibrary.com
  • Wow, you guys got funnier  Smiley    I like the 20 min format.

  • HilaryPike wrote:
    

    Wow, you guys got funnier      I like the 20 min format.



    Thank goodness the writer's strike is over! We don't have to write our own material any more. Wink

    Brian

    PS: Episode 3 coming today... it's just going through the upload process right now.
  • Maxmaxzuck Spaceman Spiff!
    I LOVE the yakety sax set change scene.... classic!

Remove this comment

Remove this thread

close

Comments Closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums,
or Contact Us and let us know.