Kinect for Media Center
- Posted: Feb 23, 2012 at 6:00 AM
- 7,327 Views
- 2 Comments
Loading User Information from Channel 9
Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9
Loading User Information from MSDN
Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN
Loading Visual Studio Achievements
Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements
With the release of the Kinect for Windows Sensor and v1 SDK, commercial applications are now officially supported. While here in the Gallery we're going to continue to focus on source available and inspirational projects, we're also going to occasionally sprinkle in some of the cooler commercial Kinect for Windows Senor/SDK applications.
The first of these, seems very fitting somehow...
Kinect for Media Center is an application that interacts with my Media Center Remote Command Listener to control a Media Center computer using Hand Gestures and Voice Commands, utilizing the Kinect for Windows hardware. The Hand Gestures and Voice Commands control the Media Center interface, as well as any add-ins running inside Media Center. This includes popular add-ins such as Netflix, MyMovies, Media Browser, and Heatwave.
Also implemented are advanced Voice features such that audio coming from Media Center will not interfere with your Voice Commands, nor will the playing audio accidently trigger any commands, within a reasonable volume level. Also, there are commands that can temporarily turn off the gesture and voice recognition until you turn them back on.
There are also configuration tools to tweak the settings. One such setting is the 'Dominant Hand' (left or right), as certain commands rely on this. Other settings allow you to invert the horizontal, vertical, and pinch/zoom actions, as well as their sensitivity.
Extenders such as the Xbox 360 are not supported. Please see the FAQ for more information.
- Hand Swipe Left, Right, Up, Down
- Moves the selection in Media Center based on velocity of gesture.
- Hand Swipe then Hold
- Moves the selection in Media Center and repeats the swipe continuously until you release the Hold.
- Hand Tap
- 'Ok' in Media Center.
- Hand Zoom (Hands moving away from each other)
- 'Ok' in Media Center.
- Hand Pinch (Hands moving closer to each other)
- 'Back' in Media Center.
- Dominant Hand Hold
- Secondary Hand Hold
- Signals that you are in control of the gestures, if multiple people are in view.
- 'Stop gestures'
- Temporarily stops watching for Gesture Commands.
- 'Start gestures'
- Starts watching for Gesture Commands again.
- 'Stop voice'
- Temporarily stops listening for Voice Commands.
- 'Start voice'
- Starts listening for Voice Commands again.
Basic Media Center:
- Ok, Enter, Select
- 'enter' key
- Up, Down, Left, Right, Back
- Home, Start
- Media Center home page
- Play, Stop, Next, Previous, Pause
- Info, Record
- 'Go to music,' 'Go to my music'
- 'Go to movies', 'Go to my movies', 'Go to movie library'
- Launches 'MyMovies 4', 'MyMovies 3', the built in Movie Library, or 'Media Browser', depending on your configuation.
- 'Go to pictures', 'Go to my pictures'
- 'Go to videos', 'Go to my videos'
- 'Go to Netflix'
- Launches Netflix add-in if installed.
- 'Go to Media Browser'
- Launches Media Browser add-in if installed.
- 'Go to Now Playing'
- 'Go to weather', 'Go to HeatWave'
- Launches HeatWave add-in if installed.
- 'Play Artist ...'
- 'Queue Artist...'
- 'Play Album...'
- 'Queue Album ...'
- 'Play Playlist ...'
Project Information URL: http://bmauk.homeserver.com/websites/themediacenterproject/KinectForMediaCenter/ [Project found via Kinect for Media Center released, why not wave and shout at your HTPC?]