"Start Here! Learn the Kinect API" book from Rob Miles available soon
- Posted: Jun 27, 2012 at 6:00 AM
- 5,680 Views
While we don't highlight commercial items hear much, this one looks like a perfect exception. Rob Miles, Friend of the Gallery (Managing your Kinect with Rob Miles' Kinect Manager & The Purple Book... "Using Kinect for Windows with XNA") has a new Kinect book coming out July 2012 (Looks like July 6th for the US and July 17th for the UK)
I’ve always wanted to produce a book with an exclamation mark in the title. And today it went off to print. Start Here! Learn the Kinect API is the story of one man’s struggle against the forces of the universe and device drivers as he calls forth the inner strength that we all have within us, and uses it to forge a majestic tome that sits easily amongst the greatest of its peers, telling the tale, once and for all, of how mortal developers can write fun programs using the C#, .NET and the Microsoft Kinect sensor. The book is now with the printers, and will be in the shops at the end of July.
The book was great fun to write and I hope it will be fun to read.
Project Information URL: http://www.robmiles.com/journal/2012/6/15/start-here-learn-the-kinect-api-has-gone-to-print.html
Ready to learn Kinect programming? Start Here!™
Learn the fundamentals of programming with the Kinect™ API—and begin building apps that use motion tracking, voice recognition, and more. If you have no previous experience with Kinect, no problem—simply start here! This book introduces must-know concepts and techniques through easy-to-follow explanations, examples, and exercises.
- Build an application to display Kinect video on your PC
- Have Kinect take photographs when it detects movement
- Draw on a computer screen by moving your finger in the air
- Track your body gestures and use them to control a program
- Make a program that understands your speech and talks back to you
- Play a part in your own augmented reality game
- Create an “air piano” using Kinect with a MIDI device