Entries:
Comments:
Posts:

Loading User Information from Channel 9

Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9

Latest Achievement:

Loading User Information from MSDN

Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN

Visual Studio Achievements

Latest Achievement:

Loading Visual Studio Achievements

Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

Betsy Aoki: Not just a cog in this huge machine

Download

Right click “Save as…”

  • MP3 (Audio only)
  • WMV (WMV Video)
Meet Betsy Aoki, self-appointed queen of Microsoft employee blog sites and principal program manager for Gotdotnet (when Charles and Jennifer caught up with her) and now program manager in MSN working on Windows Live. http://blogs.msdn.com/betsya/  From her magenta hair to her magenta personality, this is one of Jenny‚Äôs favorite WM_IN technology interviews to date.  You go Betsy! 

Tag:

Follow the Discussion

  • ZeoZeo Channel 9 :)
    Betsy sure is cool! It's nice to finally see her on Channel 9.
  • HarlequinHarlequin http:/​/​twitter.​com/True​Harlequin
    blatzcoder wrote:
     First post!


    Please don't start this...
  • CharlesCharles Welcome Change
    Zeo wrote:
     Betsy sure is cool! It's nice to finally see her on Channel 9.


    Yeah. It's a shame it's taken so long, but she's been really busy revolutionizing the way Microsoft employees interact with customers. Make no mistake. If it wasn't for the pioneering work of Betsy this whole MS Blogging thing would not be where it is today. Thanks, Betsy!

    PS: Please stop posting if you have nothing to say. Going forward, I am going to delete "First Post!" rubbish. Clear?

    C
  • Xaero_VincentXaero_​Vincent Sexy me
    Hey do you think we can have a C9 video on Erika Wiechers? Big Smile:D:D


    Regards,
    Vincent
  • CharlesCharles Welcome Change
    Xaero_Vincent wrote:
     Hey do you think we can have a C9 video on Erika Wiechers?


    Regards,
    Vincent


    Why?
    C
  • LaBombaLaBomba Summer
    More WM_IN, ah comon Where's the going deep videos?!?!

    just kidding...

    Interesting person, nice vid.

  • CharlesCharles Welcome Change
    She's not a Microsoft employee... When somebody makes a request for a video interviewee, I like to know why.
  • LaBombaLaBomba Summer
    Charles wrote:
    
    Xaero_Vincent wrote:  Hey do you think we can have a C9 video on Erika Wiechers?


    Regards,
    Vincent


    Why?
    C


    Two questions...

    a) is the person in question a microsoft employee? (she most likely is)

    b) is the person in question a female, ie. a candidate for a WM_IN video? (Judging by the name she most likely is)

    What more do you need to know "C"?
  • William Staceystaceyw Before C# there was darkness...
    Charles wrote:
    

    PS: Please stop posting if you have nothing to say. Going forward, I am going to delete "First Post!" rubbish. Clear?

    C


    OMG.  Thank you Charles!  U the man.
  • LaBombaLaBomba Summer

    Off to google ahem, er MSN Search to find out more about this Erika Wechers...

  • William Staceystaceyw Before C# there was darkness...
    Charles wrote:
     She's not a Microsoft employee... When somebody makes a request for a video interviewee, I like to know why.


    That is interesting.  I always assumed (watching the .Net Show) that she was.  Why did they not use a MS person for that?  Cheers.
  • CharlesCharles Welcome Change
    staceyw wrote:
    
    Charles wrote:  She's not a Microsoft employee... When somebody makes a request for a video interviewee, I like to know why.


    That is interesting.  I always assumed (watching the .Net Show) that she was.  Why did they not use a MS person for that?  Cheers.


    She was a Microsoft employee. She is now a vendor.
    C
  • Laphroaig 10. Nice.
  • CharlesCharles Welcome Change
    LaBomba wrote:
     This'll be interesting...

    "From her magenta hair to her magenta personality"

    "C" what do you mean, define magenta personality?


    Jennifer writes the descriptions for WM_IN posts. Ritzi, what does magenta personality mean?
    C
  • LaBombaLaBomba Summer

    This'll be interesting...

    "From her magenta hair to her magenta personality"

    "C" what do you mean, define magenta personality?

  • Xaero_VincentXaero_​Vincent Sexy me
    Charles wrote:

    Why?
    C


    Actually I was just joking. But now that you ask, it would be interesting to know what she does at Microsoft besides being a newscaster on the .NET show. The other reason is because she's very pretty and I'm interesting to know what pretty women do at Microsoft.

    But hey... "NO" works just fine for me.

    /me shuts up!


    Regards,
    Vincent
  • LaBombaLaBomba Summer
    Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    
    Charles wrote:
    Why?
    C

    other reason is because she's very pretty and I'm interesting to know what pretty women do at Microsoft.


    I think the triple smileys gave that away my friend. Wink
  • I just wrote up my review of this interview: http://channel9hawk.wordpress.com/2006/05/02/channel9-the-betsy-aoki-interview/.

    I'm going to be doing a blog post for each video going forward!Big Smile
  • ShakesPeerShakesPeer Code is art
    staceyw wrote:
    
    Charles wrote: 

    PS: Please stop posting if you have nothing to say. Going forward, I am going to delete "First Post!" rubbish. Clear?

    C
    OMG.  Thank you Charles!  U the man.
    Here, here! I cannot tell you the number of times I have witnessed this happening. Quite distracting to say the least. Fine video, Charles.
  • I sure like listening to Betsy explain things. She employs great metaphors, and comes across as humble and thoughtful.

    However, there was one exchange in this interview that concerned me.

    I liked Betsy's answer to his question of why the tech industry is so male dominated. Even though she spent much of her answer strategizing for how to get more women into the field, she did come to the negative anti-social stereotype, and refuting it.

    But then he comes back with weak stuff -- about Betsy not being a coder, and that most MS employees are not coders, so women don't need be afraid to join Microsoft. I like Betsy's take better -- that there is no need to be afraid of coding. His implication seemed to be that somehow coding is scarier for women, so they might want to avoid it!

  • I love reading her blog because she is a really good writer.
  • Duncan MackenzieDuncanma "yeah that's awful close, but that's not why I'm so hard done by"
    I don't know whether or not Betsy considers herself a coder... I know that isn't her job at Microsoft... but I had enough chats with her about Visual Basic .NET, that I know she can code Smiley

    Check out her article on MSDN
  • CharlesCharles Welcome Change
    inviso wrote:
    

    But then he comes back with weak stuff -- about Betsy not being a coder, and that most MS employees are not coders, so women don't need be afraid to join Microsoft. I like Betsy's take better -- that there is no need to be afraid of coding. His implication seemed to be that somehow coding is scarier for women, so they might want to avoid it!



    Perhaps you've misinterpreted my statements as I certainly do not think that writing code is any more scary to a female who doesn't know how to write code than a male...

    My point was that you can still work at Microsoft (and in the industry) if you are not an engineer... Attracting more women to technical roles is the order of the day. The question in why are women not attracted to this industry to the degree that men are? As far as the small software engineering talent pool, this is a problem that spans genders. Fact is, the US is producing less and less engineers each year.

    Writing software is gender neutral. Can I be more clear?

    Again, most job roles at MS do not require that the employee in that role spend time in an IDE designing, writing and debugging code...

    Perhaps it didn't come out right in my answer.

    C
  • Charles wrote:
    

    Writing software is gender neutral. Can I be more clear?



    Maybe you're wrong. Proponents of the functional programming methods of Matthias Felleisen claim that women find them easier to learn. If Felleisen is right, the new features of C# should make it possible to create programming courses that women might be more enthusiastic about.

    I've gone through the book A Little Java A Few Patterns by Felleisen and Daniel P. Friedman and done the exercises with C#. Its quite eye-opening.

  • BlogusMaximusBlogus​Maximus Code2Live, Live2Code! (Coding4Fun rox!!)
    Great interview. I met Betsy at TechEd Orlando (her booth was back to back with our INETA booth)... really cool person. Interesting to hear more about what she does.
  • Xaero_Vincent wrote:
     Hey do you think we can have a C9 video on Erika Wiechers?


    Regards,
    Vincent


    Yes, I'd love to see her in C9 video.
  • Betsy's blog http://blogs.msdn.com/betsya/ doesn't exist !

Remove this comment

Remove this thread

close

Comments Closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums,
or Contact Us and let us know.