The following is a guest post by Brian Brewer, president and founder of InfoLibrarian Corporation, a Microsoft Azure Certified provider of metadata management and integration solutions.
Managing data is always a challenge, but customers benefit from metadata management as a necessary component of overall information governance initiatives. A major integration challenge faced by companies when onboarding and managing their data relates to managing data dictionaries, data mappings, semantics and business definitions of their data. This is typically done with spreadsheets and documents that are manual and difficult to keep updated.
The following diagram shows the challenges and what capabilities help address this pain:
Drive data governance and compliance by cataloging metadata from a variety of sources using InfoLibrarian software:
• Use metadata adapters to connect to source applications or databases and index metadata.
• Provide search data lineage and impact analysis.
• Enrich and crowdsource metadata.
• Assign stewards to approve or deny suggested changes.
• Organize documentation into categories and taxonomies.
• Using drag-and-drop, map the relationships between databases or applications.
• Build a business term glossary and organize it within your own taxonomy.
• Capture compliance and data governance metadata.
- Drive self-service BI.
- Enable metadata management for data governance and compliance.
- Permanently capture invaluable documentation about the data in your organization on-premises and in the cloud.
- Find the single version of the truth – "is this the right piece of data?"
- Classify assets containing personal identifiable information in order to secure it.
- Perform impact analysis of data, processes, SQL statements and code.
Deliver enterprise taxonomies of rich information.
Metadata Management now in the Cloud
InfoLibrarian Metadata Server is now certified to run on Microsoft Azure. Gain the context and understanding of your data assets running on Azure VM's and on-premises such as SQL Azure, SQL Server, SSIS, SSRS and SSAS.