Entries:
Comments:
Posts:

Loading User Information from Channel 9

Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9

Latest Achievement:

Loading User Information from MSDN

Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN

Visual Studio Achievements

Latest Achievement:

Loading Visual Studio Achievements

Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

FASTDash: A Visual Dashboard for Fostering Awareness in Software Teams

Download

Right click “Save as…”

Visual Studio Team Foundation Server contains a wealth of project data which can be mined to help software teams achieve better productivity. In this video, Brian Keller chats with Greg Smith and Mary Czerwinski about a Microsoft Research project called FASTDash.

FASTDash is designed to help software development teams communicate and collaborate more effectively by providing a new way of viewing the source control tree. Tune in...

Tags:

Follow the Discussion

  • very sweet Charles, this kind of info is exactly what i was looking those days.
  • CharlesCharles Welcome Change
    Brian Keller is creating some awesome content for Channel 9. Thank you, Brian!

    C
  • Nice video!

    But what about when you are working on a function and as a reference you just hop to another file to see another functions implementation. I assume it will show up as if you are working on that function while you are only looking at it, I can imagine this could confuse some your co-workers.

    Is it possible to use it over the internet? Lots of activity going on so if it uses allot of bandwidth, and how about security? Because using it in teams with people spread over different locations would be really useful.

    Very cool concept and hope to see it in the next version of VS Smiley.

    (btw, Wish I had a Microsoft Natural MultiMedia Keyboard Wink. I own a Natural Ergonomic 4000, but it's crap as I tend to push the space bar on the right en left top of the key. The space bar will then bend instead of go down. This is so annoying that I now use a Comfort Curve 2000.)
  • z2bassz2bass AH!
    ORCAS ORCAS!!!! This is super kool!!!
  • hey Charles, what was in the right hand of Greg?
  • This is great stuff. Thanks!
  • Is this something we can access if we have an MSDN universal subscription?
  • CharlesCharles Welcome Change
    Ion Todirel wrote:
    hey Charles, what was in the right hand of Greg?


    I don't know. I wasn't there. Brian will know. Or, better yet, Greg can tell you Smiley
    C
  • Great video.

    Are you building in metrics as to how many times a developer requests help and who responded to the request for help?

    If so, are you tracking these metrics to the quality of the resulting code?

    I loved the three monitor layout. They look like tablets. Are they?

    While I hope it increases collaboration, I see micro-manager bosses monitoring the developers every move or key stroke. I see the potential for some real abuse.

    Cool
  • Richard Anthony HeinRichard.Hein Stay on Target
    Very nice demo - I once imagined a similiar idea (but not nearly as nice), but of course I had "features" to work on which are "more important" than process improvement.  Wink Perplexed

    I'm glad to see that MS is working on this kind of thing.
  • Folks, Greg and I are busy all day with a VP review and a conference paper deadline tomorrow (where we are submitting the FASTDash paper to!).  We will definitely answer your questions first chance we get tomorrow and so appreciate your comments and feedback.  Thanks for watching!
    Mary
  • jsampsonPCjsampsonPC SampsonBlog.​com Sampson​Videos.com
    Mary,

    Is  your team the same team that developed Visual Source Safe? If so, when was the decision made to drop VSS, and start development on FASTDash? Secondly, why did you decide to go with a completely different application, instead of developing VSS to the level of FASTDash?

    Jonathan
  • jsampsonPCjsampsonPC SampsonBlog.​com Sampson​Videos.com
    From the last couple of seconds in the video, it appears that Greg is in a wheelchair, and that the object in his right-hand it a mobility-assistance device of somesort. Either way, it is awesome to see that Greg is a successful developer. There is a web-developer in my city who is pretty well-known. He has a rather successful history of work here, and yet he doesn't write any code with his hands. He has a paralytic-condition which keeps him in a wheel-chair, and he actually writes code with an object attached to his head. He is amazing.

    Ion Todirel wrote:
    hey Charles, what was in the right hand of Greg?
  • Certainly the right direction! There is a well-known (eww) Java IDE out that now has IM'ing team members and 'team debugging' wherein the dev can 'share his token' with the other and debug side-by-side (without a nice lab like P&P.. or physically being side-by-side). Can we bake that into version 2??!! ow about shared unit test development , etc. Now that would be 'the stuff' to Scrum about.

    Serendipity Rules! Cool
  • mixelz wrote:
    Nice video!

    But what about when you are working on a function and as a reference you just hop to another file to see another functions implementation. I assume it will show up as if you are working on that function while you are only looking at it, I can imagine this could confuse some your co-workers.

    Is it possible to use it over the internet? Lots of activity going on so if it uses allot of bandwidth, and how about security? Because using it in teams with people spread over different locations would be really useful.



    We are able to detect when you're editing vs. just not editing, so we can reflect that in the vis. 

    In our prototype we took advantage of the corporate network for security and used SQL Server.  But there's no reason it couldn't be re-designed as a web service for wider geographic dispersion if introducing a little more lag was acceptable.
  • No fair previewing but not releasing! Wink
  • jsampsonPC wrote:
    Mary,

    Is  your team the same team that developed Visual Source Safe? If so, when was the decision made to drop VSS, and start development on FASTDash? Secondly, why did you decide to go with a completely different application, instead of developing VSS to the level of FASTDash?

    Jonathan


    VSS is a full-fledged source control system - FASTDash is a team-awareness visualization meant to work *on top* of a source control infrastructure, so we're not really trying to replace anything that's already there.  Improving and integrating the vis into an existing SCM solution would probably be a great progression - but we're in Research, not in the product teams, and there's still more research to do... Smiley

    Greg Smith
    MSR
  • jsampsonPC wrote:
    From the last couple of seconds in the video, it appears that Greg is in a wheelchair, and that the object in his right-hand it a mobility-assistance device of somesort. Either way, it is awesome to see that Greg is a successful developer. There is a web-developer in my city who is pretty well-known. He has a rather successful history of work here, and yet he doesn't write any code with his hands. He has a paralytic-condition which keeps him in a wheel-chair, and he actually writes code with an object attached to his head. He is amazing.

    Ion Todirel wrote: hey Charles, what was in the right hand of Greg?


    You're exactly right - it's my splint for typing...
  • Chris PietschmannCRPietschma​nn Chris Pietschmann
    This looks awesome! But, it adds to the amount that your manager can look over your shoulder.

    I wish I had a triple monitor setup at work...
  • Good video Wink

    when and how can one download this program ?

    Thank you
  • pc152 wrote:
    Good video

    when and how can one download this program ?

    Thank you


    Thank you for your interest! At this time what you're seeing is essentially some prototyping work being done by Microsoft Research. I talked to them recently and they are looking into ways that this may find its way into the product or as a standalone tool but so far there's no release plan just yet.

    Brian Keller
  • Gary RussoBigDataDev More Cowbell

    Is there any update on FASTDash?

    Is there a plan to ship it with Orcas, Rosario or as a TFS Power Tool?

  • quartzite7quartzite7 Alex Z.
    Is this video still available? I couldn't open it.

    Thanks.
    - alex

Remove this comment

Remove this thread

close

Comments Closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums,
or Contact Us and let us know.