Rory Meets Da Team

Download this episode

Download Video

Description

Today we took Rory around to meet some of the folks that he's already met, but we decided to do it again on camera just for fun (and of course we film him meeting folks he hasn't actually met like our VP Sanjay Parthasarathy...)

As always, this is a very random tour. It starts off slow, has some interesting moments (where you may find yourself asking "uhm, why am I watching this?"), but all and all provides a very humanistic view of our great extended team of evangelists, program managers, developers and an executive or two. And we only scratched the surface. You will meet more of the people who work around here in subsequent videos (which will be very interesting, of course).

Tune in.

Embed

Format

Available formats for this video:

Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.

    The Discussion

    • User profile image
      irascian
      Fun video. You do realise you're gonna get bombed with "Hire me!" spam now don't you! Wink

      Good to hear so many people mentioning WPF/E - it had all gone quiet. Hopefully a video on WPF/E to follow?
    • User profile image
      raymond

      Introducing, Rory, the Oscar Levant, of Channel 9. Wink

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Levant


      Cool

      May I have a banana split please?Tongue Out

    • User profile image
      dentaku
      Wow, Sampy is definitely not an old man. :O
    • User profile image
      Human​Compiler
      dentaku wrote:
      Wow, Sampy is definitely not an old man.


      He has taken over the position of "youngest" on the team.
    • User profile image
      Human​Compiler
      irascian wrote:
      Fun video. You do realise you're gonna get bombed with "Hire me!" spam now don't you!


      Why?  Cuz every day's a party?  ok, it really isn't...not like in the video anyway...  Wink
    • User profile image
      figuerres
      Hey!!!!

      Ok so now lets all form a great big groop hug with rory in the center- lots of wet / mayby dirty / not sanitised hands.

      Oh dread.... Tongue Out


      Ok JK Rory!

      looking fwd to seeing more !
    • User profile image
      eagle
      irascian wrote:
       Hopefully a video on WPF/E to follow?
      Yea.

      Welcome to C9 Rory

    • User profile image
      rjdohnert
      Welcome to the team Rory.  I have high expectations of the work you will do.
    • User profile image
      damage-inc

      Yeah. why am I watching this?

      Who is Rory and why do I care?

      Killed this after 5 min.

       

      Excellent

    • User profile image
      Charles
      damage-inc wrote:
      

      Yeah. why am I watching this?

      Who is Rory and why do I care?

      Killed this after 5 min.

       

      Excellent



      OK... This video is as much about the people Rory is introducing himself to (the team) as it is about Rory (the new team member). 
    • User profile image
      Rory
      raymond wrote:
      

      Introducing, Rory, the Oscar Levant, of Channel 9.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Levant




      May I have a banana split please?



      I think that comparing me to a neurotic hypochondriac pianist drug addict who repeatedly got kicked off the air is the nicest thing you've ever said about me, Raymond.

      Thanks Smiley
    • User profile image
      Rory
      dentaku wrote:
      Wow, Sampy is definitely not an old man.


      I'm scared to ask him how old he is. I'm afraid he's one of these child-genius people who do nothing in life but make older, dumber people feel insecure.

      Not that Sampy does that to me.

      But he would...

      ...if I asked him how old he was.
    • User profile image
      Rory
      eagle wrote:
      
      irascian wrote:  Hopefully a video on WPF/E to follow?
      Yea.

      Welcome to C9 Rory



      Seriously... I want one of those suits.
    • User profile image
      Rory
      rjdohnert wrote:
      Welcome to the team Rory.  I have high expectations of the work you will do.


      I hope you'll be pleased.

      I've been recording, but haven't put anything up yet (I'm learning about the rather involved process of getting content OK'd, as well as getting it online).

      I have stuff on XNA, Windows Mobile, XP Embedded, and more in the pipeline.

      A bunch more stuff scheduled to shoot next week.

      I also have a weekly show I'm going to be doing. Editing the first episode now. The format is good - I think the show's going to be a lot of fun (especially for those of us who hang out in the Coffeehouse - I think of it as being a video version of the Coffeehouse).

      It'll be good. Good times. And stuff.
    • User profile image
      Rory
      damage-inc wrote:
      Yeah. why am I watching this?

      Becuase you have nothing better to do?

      Because you tripped and fell and your forehead hit the keyboard and it caused the video to play?

      Because the lilliputians tied you down and forced you to?

      Or... because you willingly clicked on a link and opted to watch the video out of your own free will?

      Not sure which one of these is the most likely.

      damage-inc wrote:
      
      Who is Rory and why do I care?


      I'm Rory, and I don't know why you care. Perhaps you could expound on the subject a little - give us a clue...

      damage-inc wrote:
      
      Killed this after 5 min.


      You missed the party.

      damage-inc wrote:
      
      Excellent


      Great feedback. Thanks!

    • User profile image
      javamdk
      No comment to the above comment regarding the comment on this thread, lol

      . . . Welcome aboard!

      -Jr
    • User profile image
      Chadk

      Im sorry. Double post [C]

    • User profile image
      Chadk
      At 08:50..  Isn't that an apple monitor?
      And.. Damn, Sampy is tall :O
      When Rory and sampy was on the same picture, damn! Smiley

      Very nice video, you get to see more then just the C9 team - lovely job guys!


      Im looking forward to you stuff on XNA! Big Smile
    • User profile image
      Dr Herbie
      Rory, you can never have children.

      I just changed my daughter's nappy and got poo under my fingernails.

      You'll just have to resign yourself to being an evolutionary dead end.

      Herbie

    • User profile image
      W3bbo
      Rory wrote:
      
      eagle wrote:
      irascian wrote:  Hopefully a video on WPF/E to follow?
      Yea.

      Welcome to C9 Rory



      Seriously... I want one of those suits.



      Shame, You're 6 years too late.
    • User profile image
      W3bbo
      Dr Herbie wrote:
      Rory, you can never have children.

      I just changed my daughter's nappy and got poo under my fingernails.

      You'll just have to resign yourself to being an evolutionary dead end.


      I'll never look at chocolate scrapings under my fingernails the same way again. Thank you for the lifelong trauma.
    • User profile image
      Dr Herbie
      W3bbo wrote:
      
      Dr Herbie wrote: Rory, you can never have children.

      I just changed my daughter's nappy and got poo under my fingernails.

      You'll just have to resign yourself to being an evolutionary dead end.


      I'll never look at chocolate scrapings under my fingernails the same way again. Thank you for the lifelong trauma.


      Sorry, I won't go into the vomit , the snot and the pee in case it tips you over the edge.

      Somehow it doesn't seem as bad as it should then it's from your own children -- hormones are a wonderful thing sometimes.

      Herbie
    • User profile image
      TommyCarlier
      It has been proven that too much hygiene is actually not healthy. You need a sufficient amount of exposure to bacteria to build up immunity. It's like the measles: once you had it, you're immune to it.
    • User profile image
      TommyCarlier
      Rory, I'm sure you will add great value to C9, and I'm looking forward to seeing your work. PS: you do know that bacteria tend to concentrate on and around the knuckles, right?
    • User profile image
      BillP

      Fun video!  I've been on Channel9 since end of 2005 but finally created a loginID.  This place never fails to teach me something new.

      This has probably been asked a million times but how can I get a few of those Channel9 guys for the office?

      Cheers,
      Bill

       

    • User profile image
      littleguru
      *snif* My little "My Channel 9" project is mentioned in the video... Sad that you didn't show it Wink
    • User profile image
      TommyCarlier
      Littleguru, they mentioned you at least twice. I'm so jealous right now.
    • User profile image
      raymond
      Rory wrote:
      
      raymond wrote: 

      Introducing, Rory, the Oscar Levant, of Channel 9.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Levant




      May I have a banana split please?



      I think that comparing me to a neurotic hypochondriac pianist drug addict who repeatedly got kicked off the air is the nicest thing you've ever said about me, Raymond.

      Thanks


      Keep using the hand lotion and lip balm and wear the suit or you will end looking like Oscar: Wink

      Cool


    • User profile image
      littleguru
      TommyCarlier wrote:
      Littleguru, they mentioned you at least twice. I'm so jealous right now.


      Twice... I need to watch it to the end... I have only seen the first few minutes. Smiley
    • User profile image
      figuerres
      TommyCarlier wrote:
      It has been proven that too much hygiene is actually not healthy. You need a sufficient amount of exposure to bacteria to build up immunity. It's like the measles: once you had it, you're immune to it.


      I think that has been done already, at one time he was traveling almost non-stop and was *VERY* sick for a while, he used to do DNR from airport-terminals cuase that was the only time he had.

      at least this is what I recall from a while back...
    • User profile image
      littleguru
      How much influence do I have?? Jeff bought a new Dell, because I said so... It's always great to help! Wow! *without words*
    • User profile image
      ploe
      i want that c9 guy that's in the beginning
    • User profile image
      Human​Compiler
      ploe wrote:
      i want that c9 guy that's in the beginning


      the big guy in the beginning is pretty damn heavy (had to help move it upstairs a while back).  I believe it was originally used at PDC '05.

      Did you like the upside down C9 head in Sampy's office?  Tongue Out
    • User profile image
      staceyw
      "I've been recording, but haven't put anything up yet (I'm learning about the rather involved process of getting content OK'd, as well as getting it online)."

      Hey Rory. Hope your having good time on the team.  I would like to see:

      1) Some more deep WF. Threading, multi-clients, passing parms and events to WF.  Maybe async patterns to-from the UI.

      2) Vista core new stuff summary. New sync primitives, core base, new APIs, etc.

      3) More ADO.vNext and Sql Next and Vista transaction file system.  What/how WinFS tech moved to vNext and Sql.

      4) More new deep tcp stack and winsock stuff and high client server patterns.

      5) Event-based async pattern in 2.0. Other new async patterns. Whats new in sync handles - managed/unmanaged.  64 wait handle limit - how its implemented, what is next?

      6) Gotta have more cow bell...

      Thanks.
    • User profile image
      Charles

      Please explain the meaning of "needing more cow bell"?

      C

    • User profile image
      jkolbo

      Been channel nin' for years but never posted... but i just had to agree...

      What this needs.... is more cow bell!

       

       

    • User profile image
      Human​Compiler
      Charles wrote:
      

      Please explain the meaning of "needing more cow bell"?

      C



      More Cowbell!

      http://soapbox.msn.com/video.aspx?vid=3b4fe7ce-5e04-4ebd-90df-a1f3a5ab095a
    • User profile image
      Charles

      I think I think I get it.

      C

    • User profile image
      LaBomba
      Neat vid...yah more cowbell is always good Tongue Out
    • User profile image
      bart7simpso​n7
      I guess Rory is like a "intern Ross" of Channel9 [A]
    • User profile image
      Duncanma
      Charles wrote:
      

      Please explain the meaning of "needing more cow bell"?

      C



      Oh Charles, you poor sheltered boy... we'll have to find you some video reference material for this Smiley
    • User profile image
      Duncanma
      Ah, someone already found video...  I love the Internets
    • User profile image
      GuyIncognito
      I'm a bit confused here...  Who doesn't know who Rory (not Roy!) is?

      Also, why didn't they give Rory the biggest office and his own foxxy assistant?


    • User profile image
      Human​Compiler
      GuyIncognito wrote:

      Also, why didn't they give Rory the biggest office and his own foxxy assistant?


      Are you saying I'm not foxy enough?  [C]  I guess I'm not his assistant either, so nevermind.  Tongue Out
    • User profile image
      Sampy
      If I had known that this thread had lots of posts about how tall, awesome, and young I was I would have posted sooner.
    • User profile image
      Minh
      Sampy wrote:
      If I had known that this thread had lots of posts about how tall, awesome, and young I was I would have posted sooner.
      I don't recall anybody saying "awesome"  Smiley
    • User profile image
      longzheng
      I got so dizzy after watching the first 10 minutes of that video. I had to close it otherwise I'd throw up. Embarassed
    • User profile image
      Ion Todirel
      nice to see C9 Team, and Rory..., very coool guys!

      Cmon guys, Rory, Erik, i do anything please send me a C9Guy please, please. You have a lot of them:

      img01
    • User profile image
      JohnAskew

      ...and we still don't know what Charles looks like...

      I imagine him as his avatar.

    • User profile image
      Ion Todirel
      JohnAskew wrote:
      

      ...and we still don't know what Charles looks like...

      The 9 Guys - Who We Are

    • User profile image
      damage-inc
      Rory wrote:
      
      damage-inc wrote: Yeah. why am I watching this?

      Becuase you have nothing better to do?

      Because you tripped and fell and your forehead hit the keyboard and it caused the video to play?

      Because the lilliputians tied you down and forced you to?

      Or... because you willingly clicked on a link and opted to watch the video out of your own free will?

      Not sure which one of these is the most likely.

      damage-inc wrote: 
      Who is Rory and why do I care?


      I'm Rory, and I don't know why you care. Perhaps you could expound on the subject a little - give us a clue...

      damage-inc wrote: 
      Killed this after 5 min.


      You missed the party.

      damage-inc wrote: 
      Excellent


      Great feedback. Thanks!



      I hate to see Channel9 decline into this kind of mindless interviews.

      How about a brief synopsys of who Rory is and why I want to watch the video. Instead the first 10 min was just random nonsense.

      Let the channel 10 or On10 or whatever it is called do the cute stuff.

      Please, Please, please do not let channel9 become some cute little video posting place.
    • User profile image
      Charles
      damage-inc wrote:
       I hate to see Channel9 decline into this kind of mindless interviews.

      How about a brief synopsys of who Rory is and why I want to watch the video. Instead the first 10 min was just random nonsense.

      Let the channel 10 or On10 or whatever it is called do the cute stuff.

      Please, Please, please do not let channel9 become some cute little video posting place.


      It was a Friday. We were having some fun... Humans work at Microsoft. They're those things you see walking around in the halls and even in the Cafeterias consuming food...

      At any rate, C9 will continue to bring the world an unfiltered look at the people and the technology they create. That's what we have always done. Rory will add some new ingredients to the C9 Stew which will add more flavor. We wanted to take a random tour around the group to introduce Niners to the folks who work on our extended team as well as get to know Rory a little better. 

      Technology and People will continue to be the focus for C9... We reserve the right to have a little light-hearted fun once and a while.

      C
    • User profile image
      orsaw
      Those are really great funny quotes.Wink
    • User profile image
      try-sh

      Good looking offices there Rory and you all must have good hairstylists.

      You are right about the hand cleaner machines compared to paper, and I have  to wonder how edible those lotions are you use on your hands.

      Some lotions like sunscreens, smell nice but taste grotesque.

      What's the nutritional value of petroleum jelly in lip balm and what if any effects could that crude byproduct have on arteries.

    Comments closed

    Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.