Microsoft DevRadio: Code vs. Drag & Drop for GameMaker: Studio from YoYo Games
Michael Palermo welcomes Russell Kay, CTO at YoYo Games to the show as they discuss the two major ways to develop games using GamerMaker --- Coding vs. Drag and Drop (DnD). Tune in as they shed a little light on both techniques as well dispelling some misconceptions about DnD and mixing and matching while developing.
- [1:39] GameMaker provides two major ways to develop games – code and/or DnD. Which do you see used more?
- [4:10] Does using the DnD approach impact my game negatively in any way? Such as performance?
- [9:04] It appears you can mix-and-match methods for developing. Could you provide some tips on how a developer would know when to choose one type vs. the other?
- [12:56] Do you know of any games that were created primarily via DnD? (check out Eric Ruth Games.com!)
If you're interested in learning more about the products or solutions discussed in this episode, click on any of the below links for free, in-depth information:
- Getting started with Windows 8 Apps
- How to Sell Your Apps and Make Money in the Windows Store
- Attend a Windows 8 Developer Camp and Hackathon in your area!
Blogs & Articles:
Game On Virtual Event On-Demand Videos:
- (Part 1) Welcome & GameMaker 101
- (Part 2) Building your First Basic GameMaker Game
- (Part 3) Windows 8 Features
- (Part 4) Create New Assets and Find Free Ones
- (Part 5) Putting it Together
- (Part 6) Add Advertising to your Game
- (Part 7) Get Help
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.