Download this episode
Presented at the Swedish SQL Server User Group meeting January 27th 2010 in Stockholm.
Temp Mashup Demo (Continued from part 1)
- Loading Data
- Simple Pivot
- Mashup with Internet data
- Calc columns and relationships
- DAX Measures
DAX Measure Golden Rules
- Home Table = Fact Table
- Wherever the column to be aggregated lives
- No naked columns!
- Sum([Quantity]), never just [Quantity]
- Measures themselves are also ok
- Calculations happen against the TABLES
- Ex: Sum of a column in a PowerPivot table
- NOT a sum of PivotTable cells
- NOT a navigation of dimensional space
- Two Phases: Filter, then Aggregate
- During Filter, think “Cell-by-Cell”
- Filters flow from One to Many, NEVER vice versa
Movie Explaining the Golden Rules
Rob Collie’s bio (from http://powerpivotpro.com/): "Excel geek, Business Intelligence professional, all-around data enthusiast, and one of the founding engineers behind PowerPivot, Microsoft’s new self-service BI offering."
Swedish SQL Server User Group: http://www.sqlug.se/
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.